Engländer or ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engländer or ???

This (heavily cropped and watermarked) photo was from a series of photos that was recently (and unfortunately) broken up on e-bay. I would like to ask our WAF members if they can spot anything in this photo that will indicate / confirm (or likewise refute) the nationality of the soldier pictured.

Look closely....Engländer or ???

"Hundestaffel"
    Attached Files

Hi,

Looks very much to me like a person dressed in British WW2 battledress.
    I believe these images may have been taken with the person wearing captured or unissued items (in Germany?) as no shoulder flashes or any other regimental identifying insignia are evident on the clothing.
    Probably German units were training dogs to attack or hold persons wearing a particular style of uniform?

Best wiahes,

John.

Comment

Certainly looks like a British soldier in battledress, but the photo quality is not very high. Lack of later war formation badges , regimental titles, etc., may date this photo to the BEF 1939-40.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

It could also be a later image of a commonwealth soldier (training with dogs) and he is wearing a cotton fatigue BD uniform, (like the ones U-Boat crews obtained from Dunkirk BEF supplies). Such fatigue uniforms were always worn without any formation insignia...so it can't be dated in that scenario!! (but Woolen BD's yes..and early!)

Comment

Thankx for the comments everyone...looks like feldpost 58 is closest to the Bullseye.

The photo was one of about 45 or 50 Wehrmacht Hund training photos that were all clearly taken at the same time involving the same (unfortunately unidentified) Hundestaffel unit. Some of the lesser quality photos were sold in lots of 5 or 8, the better ones on an individual basis. I was able to obtain the best photo of them all (the one posted) which pictures a Wehrmacht member dressed as an Engländer being attacked by a Shepherd (the Shepherd has a death grip on the padded arm with all four legs off the ground, even with the soldiers waist - a classic shot indeed). What I was (am and still am) somewhat peeved about is that I did not manage to obtain some (even one) of the other lesser quality photos from this set, as a few of them (unlike this one) pictured both Engländers and Wehrmacht members training / tending to their dogs (contact with other winning bidders was unsuccessful in regards to them selling me even one such photo). What I was hoping for here is that someone would be able to positively identify any part of this Engländer's uniform as of German manufacture, possibly his boots or (what looks to be) the "D" ring on his belt.

For those familiar with Wehrmacht uniforms, comments on his boots / "D" ring are most welcome....

"Hundestaffel"

Comment

Close-up of the fellows boots (the best I could do).

German manufacture ???

"Hundestaffel"
            Attached Files

Comment

They could be slippers for all anyone could tell from looking at that picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
                They could be slippers for all anyone could tell from looking at that picture.
                True, but are they German SSlipperSS???

"Hundestaffel"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X