Show us your German POW photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to post a photo

Hi I have a photo of a Luftwaffe Feldwebel who was taken prisoner by US forces. He seems to have been captured in North Africa. At any rate the photo was taken in his hometown of Regensberg, not in the POW camp. I also have numerous photos he sent home prior to capture and some letters. One letter was written prior to capture and six others were writen after capture. I'd like to post the portrait photo of this man,but I'm unsure which thread to post it in. Any advice?

Comment

John,

You can post it on this thread or if you like or start you own thread. Bill

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
      Hi I have a photo of a Luftwaffe Feldwebel who was taken prisoner by US forces. He seems to have been captured in North Africa. At any rate the photo was taken in his hometown of Regensberg, not in the POW camp. I also have numerous photos he sent home prior to capture and some letters. One letter was written prior to capture and six others were writen after capture. I'd like to post the portrait photo of this man,but I'm unsure which thread to post it in. Any advice?
      Last edited by W Petz; 02-26-2008, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Feldwebel Augustin Amamm

This is a photo of Feldwebel Augustin Amann. I realize that he isn't a feldwebel in the photo, but the letters that I have from, state that he was a feldwebel by the time of capture. I would like to have the letters translated, so if someone feels up to the challenge, let me know.
        Attached Files

Comment

Augustin Amann

Below is the envelope of a letter that he wrote home prior to capture. Can someone make out the Feldpost number and identify his unit for me? The postmark is May 21, 1942.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi John,

For that period . May 1942.
            L.00420 = Flieger Führer Afrika.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

Augustin Amann

Hi Eric-Jan,

Thanks for the help. What would Flieger Fuhrer Afrika actually mean? Would Augustin have been assigned to the Luftwaffe flight commander for Afrika? If so then which command fighter or bomber?

Regards,
              John

Comment

Hi John,

I have no idea if your man was flying personnel or serving with the Staff or what ever !
                Maybe the material you have on the man can give some answers.
                This site may give you some information on the structure.

http://www.ww2.dk/air/hq/afrika.htm

yours
                Eric-Jan

Comment

John & Eric-Jan,

Thanks for posting the photo & Feldpost and providing the information to help identify the flier.

Here is a POW Postcard from Canada. The PC is unfortunately not that sharp but you can see some Badges even a Spanish Cross.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by W Petz; 03-10-2008, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Here is another much sharper postcard of FJ POW's in Canada
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here are some new arrivals on POW's who were at Camp Grant, Illinois, USA
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

German POW?

Hi I'm not sure if this soldier is a POW or is just a worn out soldier taking a break. I don't see weapons or accouterments nearby, so I'm just curious. I look forward to the opinions of my fellow forum members.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to this thread. I would say he is definitely not a POW. He is sitting on the outer edge of his foxhole and still wearing his equipment notibly his shovel which would have been taken from him upon capture (FYI shovels doubled as weapons for the German Landser in hand to hand combat).

Bill

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
                                Hi I'm not sure if this soldier is a POW or is just a worn out soldier taking a break. I don't see weapons or accouterments nearby, so I'm just curious. I look forward to the opinions of my fellow forum members.
                                Last edited by W Petz; 03-10-2008, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 14 users online. 0 members and 14 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X