Color War Slides from Ian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

berlin9 - Reichstagsgebäude vom Brandenburger Tor aus gesehen

big thanks to Michael for the information !

Comment

berlin18 - Alte Reichskanzlei am Wilhelmplatz, rechts daneben das Reichspräsidenten-Palais

big thanks to Michael for the information !

Comment

The photo in post #17 features the Siedler Office Building Extension situated between the Borsig Palace on the far left and the Old Reichschancellery, the ornate structure on the far right. All three structures were connected together through the Siedler Building, which formed the original office block for the Chancellery. The Siedler Building opened in 1929 and provided both a balcony (designed by Albert Speer) for Hitler to be seen from the vast Wilhelmsplatz, and also a formal driving entrance to the New Reichschancellery (opened in January 1939) through the two huge bronze doors. The Reich President's Palace is not seen in this photo. Further along the Wilhelmstrasse to the right (out of the photo) was the Foreign Ministry, then came the President's Palace.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
          The photo in post #17 features the Siedler Office Building Extension situated between the Borsig Palace on the far left and the Old Reichschancellery, the ornate structure on the far right. All three structures were connected together through the Siedler Building, which formed the original office block for the Chancellery. The Siedler Building opened in 1929 and provided both a balcony (designed by Albert Speer) for Hitler to be seen from the vast Wilhelmsplatz, and also a formal driving entrance to the New Reichschancellery (opened in January 1939) through the two huge bronze doors. The Reich President's Palace is not seen in this photo. Further along the Wilhelmstrasse to the right (out of the photo) was the Foreign Ministry, then came the President's Palace.

Br. James
          Thank you very much for your really interesting feedback on my color slide !
          Much appreciated !

Ian

Comment

My pleasure, Ian. I always enjoy photos of Berlin between the wars, and especially those of the Hohenzollern Residence known as the City Palace (Stadtschloss), as seen in your post #13, a view of the palace's main entrance. Sadly for the loss of an architecturally superb and historic building, the City Palace was destroyed during WWII.

The Berliner Dom (post #14), the Lutheran Cathedral in Berlin, still exists today as it did then. Your post shows the entrance side of the Dom on the Unter den Linden, as it stood directly across the street from the City Palace. The famous Lust Garden -- the vast parade and rally grounds -- is just beyond the trees to the left of the Dom. It still survives, as well.

Br. James

Comment

I got a little nice luck this week and found a lovely roll of uncut German agfacolor film showing a flak soldier training in a Kasserne in Munster 1940.
              I was able to make contact with the family of the man and record a little of his history during and after the war years.
              One interesting point was that the man managed to dodge combat and stay with his comfortable position in the Munster Kasserne for the duration of the war.
              After the war was over, he was interned and sent to a POW camp off the french coast for 1 year.
              The man did what he could but never thought of sending one letter or telephone call to his wife and two children back in Germany.
              So 1 year after the war, the man came back and knocked on his door.
              The wife opened the door with shock in her face.
              It was not the perfect family reunion, the wife had fallen in love with another man just after the war and so... the returning soldier found his wife in the hands of another.
              The two subsequently got divorced and the luftwaffe man in the end, became the principal of a large secondary school in Germany and never remarried.

Its a very rare treat to actually get this type of personnel information from the people involved in these color photos.
              I love it.
              Ian

always interested in buying and trading old color slides. ( ian.spring@gmail.com )

Comment

Hi Ian,
                Weird that he didnt even send a letter!!? wow. At least you were able to recieve personalized info tho. Anyway, as always it is nice to see your color slides. Good to see you are still collecting them too!

Comment

Glad you like them ! :-)
                  And yes I still collect color slides. Never stopped but its getting tricky to balance paying the normal bills and then collecting, so I guess collecting has taken the second spot for now :-)

Here are two nice new ones I acquired recently.
                  Hope you like it.
                  Ian

Comment

Wow great Cossack photo Ian!

Comment

happy you like them.
                      I will be posting a lot more, when people enjoy seeing them :-)
                      best wishes.
                      Ian

Comment

Ian,

That Cossack color slide is a real killer !

Thank you for showing such a great image.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Comment

Danke, Guten Ja

Thanks for sharing these wonderful color snapshots Ian.
                          That made my day.

Peto at point

Comment

Impressive as always, Ian.

Erich

Comment

im really happy you guys like them :-)
                              here is another one that came in the door a few weeks ago.
                              enjoy !

best wishes.
                              Ian :-)

Comment

two new wooden boxes of farbdias from berlin 1941, today in the post
                                the color slides (farbdias) show a berlin family at a wedding some where in Berlin April 1941.
                                Best wishes.
                                Ian

ps. i love the one of the drunk man talking to the mother in law.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X