Mongol Soviet Prisoners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mongol Soviet Prisoners

This is quite an amazing photo in my opinion, showing that (some) Soviets were humans too. What I find cool is the the guy second to left is wearing traditional head dress from the region in which he came.
    What do you fellow collectors think?
    Attached Files

Hi Karl, that is a nice photo and is typical of one that shows Soviet POW's early in the war, wearing the 1935 pattern uniform. Not sure about your comment on the ethnic headgear? The cap of the soldier on the right is wearing the M1940 "Ushanka" fur cap. The soldier on the left appears to wear the standard "Pilotka". It is interesting to see that both have removed their insignia.

Cheers, Ade.
    Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 07-14-2004, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Prisoner images...

finis
      Last edited by seekwhence; 11-28-2005, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
        Not sure about your comment on the ethnic headgear? The cap of the soldier on the right is wearing the M1940 "Ushanka" fur cap. The soldier on the left appears to wear the standard "Pilotka".
        For one, they are not "mongol", Dr. Goebbels' "mongol hordes" speeches nonwithstanding. These people belong to one of the Central Asian ethnic groups that were a part of the USSR, from the facial features most likely Kazakhs, Uzbeks or Turkmens. Karl is right about the ethnic headdress though, the soldier on the left is wearing a tyubeteika, a traditional Central Asian square felt skullcap. Attached photo shows Soviet writer Maxim Gorkiy hanging out with Stalin wearing a similar skullcap.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Vadim K; 07-15-2004, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Haha Tubeteika! An uncle had brought one from the USSR long ago Indeed, Turkmenistan or some other central Asian part of the CCCP.
          The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

It appears I am very rough when it comes to the Soviet Military and region.
            Thanks for the help guys!
            I will share this info with my dad when he gets home!

Comment

Oh, P.S.
              Awesome photos, Seekwhence!
              I was wondering if you sould help me locate some color slides for my collection?
              I have always looked for them, but for some odd reason, never manage to find them.
              Thanks!
              Karl Bandow

Comment

Here is my started attempt at coloring in the photo.
                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X