griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Wanted: Pictures of Kriegsberichters with cameras (Leica, Contax and others)".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Wanted: Pictures of Kriegsberichters with cameras (Leica, Contax and others)".

We owe a large amount of gratitude towards the men that provided us with the unique pictures shown on this forum and that we see in many books. I thought it would be interesting to see some pictures of the hard working photographers aswell.

So, please post your pictures of Kriegsberichters and PK photographers (or "ordinary" soldiers & officers) equipped with any kind of still picture camera (Leica, Kodak, Contax etc).

It would be very interesting to discuss camera equipment, personalities and the content in your pictures.
    I'll start with the picture below; an array of issue cameras in the hands of these LW Kriegsberichters (I count at least one or two Leicas and one or two Kodak Retinas in their leather ready cases).

Regards,
    Sigurd Helge
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sigurd Helge; 08-03-2004, 12:53 PM.

Rommel with Leica

Another example, this is of (by then) Gen.Major Erwin Rommel, Kdr.7.Pz.Div. with a Leica during the summer of 1940.
    It is a Leica III, probably privately purchased, in the hands of the future GFM.

Regards,
    Sigurd Helge
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sigurd Helge; 07-09-2004, 07:57 AM.

Comment

...and another one...

This time a still picture from a very well known film clip from the Ardennes.
      A field issue Leica III hanging from the neck of this SS-Kriegsberichter, the camera in it's (open) ready case. The leather front cover is visible hanging below the ready made camera.

Regards,
      Sigurd Helge
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Sigurd Helge; 07-09-2004, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Fallschirmjäger with Leica.

This is a picture from the book "Fallschirmjäger Rgt.3" by Klaus J. Peters showing Fallschirmjäger Gefr. Wulff with a Leica in a typical leather ready case (several different designs can be encountered but the basic ouline is always the same) being worn on the Eastern front.

A sidenote: This picture is also printed wrong. It is mirror reversed as one can see on the position of the ready case "lens bulge". It should be positioned more to the right from a viewers viewpoint.

Regards,
        Sigurd Helge
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Sigurd Helge; 07-30-2004, 11:29 AM.

Comment

General Heidrich with Leica.

This is a also picture from the book "Fallschirmjäger Rgt.3" by Klaus J. Peters.
          The caption in the book states that it is Fallschirmjäger Olt. Veth with a Leica and General Heidrich, to the right, showing much interest.

However, under close inspection I have come to the conclusion that the camera is not a Leica but a Kodak Retina I (typ 148?). I've inserted a picture of a Kodak Retina I for comparison.

There is, however, a definite Leica being handled by an unknown person to the right of General Heidrich. The characteristical shape of the camera body and the rewind knob on the camera being visible.

(both pictures from the Peters book is shown with kind permission from R. James Bender Publishing)

Sigurd Helge
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Sigurd Helge; 08-03-2004, 12:29 PM.

Comment

OK, not a German but the Leica is there...

General Patton with his Leica.

Sigurd Helge
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

The camera shown in the image in post #5 is definitely a Kodak Retina.

/David

Comment

Rare Luftwaffe aircraftmounted Leica sold.

This Luftwaffe issue Leica 250 GG with an ultra-rare motor was recently sold at "Auction Team Breker" in Cologne, Germany, for US$ 130,000.
                This was a world record for any Leica camera sold at an auction.

The 250 GG is based on the relatively common Leica 250 "Reporter". The body itself is a modified Leica III with a specially designed large camera body to accomodate a 250 picture roll of film. They were manufactured specifically to be used by professional photographers, news reporters and war correspondents. What makes this particular camera so special is it's special motor and the unique Luftwaffe provenance .

It is in fact one of the rarest of all military cameras (or any camera for that matter!).
                Only 92 of the motor-driven Leica 250 GGs were ever built. All of the cameras were sold in 1942 to the Luftwaffe for installation in aircraft as aerial surveillance cameras. When fitted they were remotely controlled by the pilot.

Today, there are very few examples known to still exist since most of them were destroyed when the aircraft on to which they were attached were either shot down and/or destroyed.

Sigurd Helge
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Sigurd Helge; 07-26-2004, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Fallschirmjäger with Leica.

The Fallschirmjäger Oberleutnant to the left has a Leica hanging from his neck in it's open leather ready case.

Sigurd Helge
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Sigurd Helge; 07-30-2004, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Two Waffen SS Kriegsberichters with Leicas.

Two Waffen SS Kriegsberichters (?) with Leicas. The individual to the right has an empty, opened Leica leather ready case on his chest. The picture of the two was most probably taken with his Leica by a third person (or with a self timer...).

Sigurd Helge
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Sigurd Helge; 07-30-2004, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Don't know if this is a Leica, but he does have a camera ...

Bart

Comment

Oh. yes it's a Leica...

If you look very close you just can just (only just) discern the typical Leica logo embossed on the leather ready case "lens bulge". But even without that dead give-away this is would undoubtedly be a Leica. The unmistakeble contours and proportions of the classic shape of the case tells it all. Only post war copies like the Soviet FED and Japanese copies had very similar appearances but they are... post-war.
                        This is very possibly a Kriegsberichter (evidently a Gebirgsjäger d:o) with an issue Leica. Nice.

See example of an ever-ready case below.

Sigurd Helge
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Sigurd Helge; 08-03-2004, 08:33 AM.

Comment

More Waffen-SS Leicas!

An "action" picture.
                          This W-SS Kriegsberichter is trying to focus with his Leica III.
                          The camera is fitted with the special Leica VIOOH viewfinder mounted on the flash socket. Probably fitted for use with a special lens. The lens is very hard to identify but it is most probably a longer focal length lens lika a 135 mm or 90 mm lens. This assumption is based on that it seems that he is holding the camera by its lens. This would only be possible with the above mentioned focal lengths or longer.

Sigurd Helge
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Sigurd Helge; 07-30-2004, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Hi Sigurd,

Guess what ... It's a Gebirgsjäger Edelweiss on his sleeve. (did you expect anything else from me ...).

I might have some more pictures with camera's in it, but I've put all of my photoalbums aside (as I did with the rest of my collection) as we're selling our house. (Don't want to have 'viewers' and try to figure out where I left the other Heeresbergführer Abzeichen I have after they leave ...)

Fabulous pictures btw !

Bart

Comment

Why did I ask about that arm shield???

Quite obvious that it should have been an edelweiss...

Here is a nice shot of a "tarn" clad and cheerful W-SS Kriegsberichter with a Leica III in action. As on the Leica with the W-SS Kriegsberichter above this one is also fitted with the VIOOH viewfinder. The lens is a black version Leica HEKTOR 1:4,5 / 135 mm.

Sigurd Helge
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Sigurd Helge; 07-30-2004, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X