Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knights Cross citations

Gentlemen,
    Can someone advise me if any form of citation was promulgated for the award of the Knights Cross.I have seen the "Honor Lists" and have viewed many samples of original paperwork to RK recipients but have never seen any form of citation drawn up by the recipients commander putting him up for the award.The British published citations for most high level gallantry awards in the London Gazette and I have seen original copies of these starting at unit level and going up through the chain of command until signed off at the level required for the relevant award.Russian awards of the higher levels all carried citations (always laced with a good dose of propaganda) and these can be viewed in the recipients files.Thank you.
    Mike Downey

Hi Mike,

I am not at all sure that what I am going to say is the answer you needed. But, I have seen vintage newspaper articles announcing the award of the Knights Cross. I think this was a fairly common thing especially in the awardee's home town. I hope this is of some help!
    Cheers,
    Dick

Comment

Thanks Dick.Yes I have seen those "PR"type write ups so some details were released for the public to read but as I said I can't find citation write ups in any of the document files of recipients nor have I found any references to them in any of the major books on the RK.I think the navy and airforce had a straight forward system based on number of planes shot down/ships destroyed but the army seems to have no formal criteria.Kind Regards.
      Mike

Originally posted by Dick Pumphrey
      Hi Mike,

I am not at all sure that what I am going to say is the answer you needed. But, I have seen vintage newspaper articles announcing the award of the Knights Cross. I think this was a fairly common thing especially in the awardee's home town. I hope this is of some help!
      Cheers,
      Dick

Comment

Mike,

I don't think anything was "published" as such (i.e. in the Press or News). The nearest thing to the citation would be the Vorschlag submitted for consideration which detailed the action for which the award was being recommended. The Bundesarchiv have many of these on file. There were specific rules (for all branches of the services) as to exactly what sort of information was to be submitted so there was a considerable degree of standardisation. The only navy awards which were on a "points" basis were the U-Boat ones where early on they seemed to be awarded for specific tonnages sunk, but there were many exceptions to the general rule and Knights Crosses awarded to U-Boat commanders with very small, almost negligible tonnages sunk.

Comment

There are plenty of examples of these 'Vorschlag' Gordon mentions in the 'Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939-1945' series published by Biblio verlag. There are also examples of the 'path' a recommendation took up the command ladder with notes from each successively higher commander.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks Gordon and Simon....more books to buy I see!
            Mike

Originally posted by Simon orchard
            There are plenty of examples of these 'Vorschlag' Gordon mentions in the 'Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939-1945' series published by Biblio verlag. There are also examples of the 'path' a recommendation took up the command ladder with notes from each successively higher commander.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X