Hole / destruction in U-Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hole / destruction in U-Boot

Hello , i have some photos here where you can see an Hole in the Front of the U-boot
    What could have caused this destruction
    Thanks for your opinions
    Attached Files

It does not look to be the result of a collision or a rapid implosion at critical depth. Looks like an explosion took out the steel plates on both sides.
    Maybe a torpedo prematurely detonation partially out of a tube.
    Last edited by DrMemory1701; 08-19-2011, 11:34 AM. Reason: word change

Comment

From the shape of the hole I would think it was done with a torch. Some need to get in there? A torpedo would have taken the whole bow off.
      Wilhelm

Comment

Not a 'U-Boat' for one thing. It is an Italian 'Cavallini' type perhaps??

Lost panel from a heavy sea state perhaps

Comment

Post war Preperations to scuttle?

Mike

Comment

Maybe it is a post-capitulation demilitarization of the U-boat to prevent submersion.

Comment

No that would not be it as the hole is not in the pressure hull.

Nothing really had to be done to the U-boat (or almost any other ship for that matter) to sink it.

All one has to do it open the seacocks and down she goes.

Comment

to start with I'm not that technical when in concerns any boot or ship.

But when I look at the photo, it's clear to see a harbour, my opinion is;
                a torch made the hole, during repairs. The U-boot is out off dock for a testrun. clearly it's not going to submurge looking at the crowd that's on deck, pictures taking from a vessel alongside the ship for safety (anti-air?).

Comment

i do not see a hole. or even half a hole. i see a white mark made on the image, possibly a war-time way of covering up an identification number/code, or something added to the photo itself afterwards...

Comment

Originally posted by corporalSteiner View Post
                    i do not see a hole. or even half a hole. i see a white mark made on the image, possibly a war-time way of covering up an identification number/code, or something added to the photo itself afterwards...
                    Well that could be very true indeed! I did some measuring and there is a size difference between the first and second photo.

The TS should be able to see this using a magnifying glass.

Comment

Originally posted by corporalSteiner View Post
                      It is definitely a hole - look at the reflection in the water. You can see the gap in that as well.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by hucks216; 08-25-2011, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I was also thinking that is might be a 'edit' by a censor, 'Scrape the negative type',

However

1) It would be a very odd place to put ID numbers, Never seen a sub with them there usually on conning tower

2) the hole has the same sort of defect on the right side in both pics and is too consistent to be a neg scrape.

here is an example of a scrapped neg

from PA-128794

not the same as the pic above.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X