No announcement yet.

Poll: Do photos decline in value after publication in books?? - Yr opinion pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont understand why people want to HIDE photos in there collections so nobody else can see them!? What is the purpose of this, and how is this helping History or the collecting community? That is just simple GREED. What are you personally gaining from this practice?? A "never before seen" image....ohhh wow! Its not like the value of the photo is going to be more because nobody has seen it! It is still just a period image, and the period image is what people pay for no matter if it has been seen before or not! LET PEOPLE LEARN FROM YOUR PHOTOS!!
    As Bill Petz said earlier, I dont have a problem with sharing my photos on the forum, but it is just disrespectful when someone starts posting/selling/ or publishing that image without permission!
    We as collectors spend alot of time and money on our period photos, and to have someone just come along and use our images however they feel with 2 clicks of the mouse, is just scummy in my opinion. How hard is it to send a PM? I have never declined anyone who has asked for a high res scan, whether it be for a book or just a member's personal use!
    The problem w/ people not asking permission and just copying your image, is that you do not know where your image is going to end up! Is it going to be used in a sketchy manner or stolen and printed to be sold for a profit? That is one major reason why we ask for a simple PM....so we know where our image is going and how it is being used!

Comment

I have a stack of Me109 photos that came from the estate sale of aviation writer William Green(Warplanes of the Third Reich), and for me they will always be sought after. So I guess my answer is b!
      I should thank my lucky stars that I don't collect ss portraits.

Comment

Originally posted by 12thPanzer View Post
        I dont understand why people want to HIDE photos in there collections so nobody else can see them!? What is the purpose of this, and how is this helping History or the collecting community? That is just simple GREED. What are you personally gaining from this practice?? A "never before seen" image....ohhh wow! Its not like the value of the photo is going to be more because nobody has seen it! It is still just a period image, and the period image is what people pay for no matter if it has been seen before or not! LET PEOPLE LEARN FROM YOUR PHOTOS!!
        As Bill Petz said earlier, I dont have a problem with sharing my photos on the forum, but it is just disrespectful when someone starts posting/selling/ or publishing that image without permission!
        We as collectors spend alot of time and money on our period photos, and to have someone just come along and use our images however they feel with 2 clicks of the mouse, is just scummy in my opinion. How hard is it to send a PM? I have never declined anyone who has asked for a high res scan, whether it be for a book or just a member's personal use!
        The problem w/ people not asking permission and just copying your image, is that you do not know where your image is going to end up! Is it going to be used in a sketchy manner or stolen and printed to be sold for a profit? That is one major reason why we ask for a simple PM....so we know where our image is going and how it is being used!
        I agree. Owning a copy of a/the photo gives you no copyright. Only the photographer or his/her relatives have it (unless they have passed it along to someone)

Comment

Originally posted by worm View Post
          I agree. Owning a copy of a/the photo gives you no copyright. Only the photographer or his/her relatives have it (unless they have passed it along to someone)
          I see where you are coming from w/ the whole copyright thing. But to me, the person who took the photo originally has obvioiusly passed along the property once it leaves his/her possesion to a new owner (whether they sold it, died, etc etc). Once I sell a photo to someone, it is no longer mine IMO! Yes, I might keep a scan in my archives, but that does not give me the right to post/publish it any longer.....as the photo itself is NOT IN MY POSSESION anymore.

So to somewhat put the situation to ease....each collector who buys photos should be responsible for there own images. Meaning we SHOULD have the right to decide what happens to our images on the forum and anywhere else! People shouldnt be allowed to just copy or post someone elses image! If they wanted the image that bad....then they should have PAID for it when it was for sale, or simply ask the "owner" for permission to have a scan.
          We need to give each other this common courtesy even if it isnt the "law"! If this is done, I think people would be more likely to share there photos on the forum and even in books!

Comment

Originally posted by 12thPanzer View Post
            I see where you are coming from w/ the whole copyright thing. But to me, the person who took the photo originally has obvioiusly passed along the property once it leaves his/her possesion to a new owner (whether they sold it, died, etc etc). Once I sell a photo to someone, it is no longer mine IMO! Yes, I might keep a scan in my archives, but that does not give me the right to post/publish it any longer.....as the photo itself is NOT IN MY POSSESION anymore.

So to somewhat put the situation to ease....each collector who buys photos should be responsible for there own images. Meaning we SHOULD have the right to decide what happens to our images on the forum and anywhere else! People shouldnt be allowed to just copy or post someone elses image! If they wanted the image that bad....then they should have PAID for it when it was for sale, or simply ask the "owner" for permission to have a scan.
            We need to give each other this common courtesy even if it isnt the "law"! If this is done, I think people would be more likely to share there photos on the forum and even in books!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X