could this be a film set ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could this be a film set ?

guys could this be a war time film set in germany ?

any help would be great.
    Thanks guys.
    Ian
    Attached Files

It could be from a "Tag der Wehrmacht".

It was not uncommon that actors or soldiers were dressed up in old uniforms, as rememberence of old wars, during such events.

It can for example be seen on "Deutsche wochenschau".

Karl

Comment

It could have been a publicity shot with some of the cast from the 1943 Baron MÜNCHHAUSEN movie.

"The fabulous exploits of Baron MÜNCHHAUSEN include several wars, numerous plots and beautiful women without number.

At the height of World War Two, as the tide was beginning to turn against the Third Reich, Hitler's Minister of Propaganda, Joseph Goebbels commissioned this lavish motion picture as a commemoration of the 25th anniversary of Ufa, the government-run German film association. More importantly, it was also to be a rival of the great fantasy films which had come from the Allied nations, such as THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) and THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1940). In that it succeeds brilliantly and needs no comparison to any other film."

Or:

DER GROßE KÖNIG (FREDRICK THE GREAT) 1940.

"Der Grosse Konig was begun in 1940 and tells the story of Prussia's greatest king, Frederick the Great. It is 1759 and Prussia has just suffered one of its greatest defeats at Kunersdorf at the hands of the Austrians. Prussia is surrounded by enemies and after losing more than half his army, Friedrich wonders whether he and his kingdom will survive for much longer. All of Friedrich's advisors reasonably suggest capitulation while there is still a country left to save. No one is more determined to see Friedrich end his campaigns than his own brother, who is to inherit the throne upon the great king's death. But Friedrich is determined to perservere in spite of well-meaning advice, attempts on his life by allies of the Habsburghs, and treachery on the part of the Russian commander in East Prussia, who pretends to offer Friedrich an alliance."

http://www.germanwarfilms.com/third-...-the-great.htm

Just a thought.
      Last edited by Larry Davis; 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM. Reason: Timing, always the timiming.

Comment

Hello.

The unifroms look post 1942.

There was a film that I can't recall the name of filmed in 1945. It was based on a Prussian town defending itself against the Russians in the 1800's.
        It was Goebals last piece of 'art'. If I remeber, it took thousands of troops away from the front used as extras.
        Sorry to be so vague.

Regards,
        Chris.

Comment

is this it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolberg_%28film%29

Kolberg is a 1945 German propaganda film directed by Veit Harlan and Wolfgang Liebeneiner. It opened on January 30, 1945 simultaneously in Berlin and to the crew of the naval base at La Rochelle. It was also screened in the Reich chancellery after the broadcast of Hitler's last radio address on January 30. The film is in Agfacolor.
          The film was based on the autobiography of Joachim Nettelbeck, mayor of Kolberg. It told the story of the successful defence of the besieged fortress town of Kolberg against French troops between April and July 1807. Drawing the parallel to modern times, it offered propaganda to fight the attackers until the very end.<sup id="cite_ref-baird_0-0" class="reference">[1]</sup>

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post
            Hello.

The unifroms look post 1942.

There was a film that I can't recall the name of filmed in 1945. It was based on a Prussian town defending itself against the Russians in the 1800's.
            It was Goebals last piece of 'art'. If I remeber, it took thousands of troops away from the front used as extras.
            Sorry to be so vague.

Regards,
            Chris.
            That was "Kolberg" (1945), and it was filmed in color.
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I had forgotten about "Kolberg". I think two or three soldiers were killed or maimed in the production of that film. Yes, going by the late uniform in the photo I agree it might have been taken around the "Kolberg" set or the premier of the film.

"Kolberg, begun in 1943, was made in Agfacolor with high production values. At a cost of more than eight million marks, it was the most expensive German film of the second World War, with the actual cost suppressed to avoid public reaction."

Around the same time as the 1943 Baron MÜNCHHAUSEN film. That's interesting. I must check to see if it used the same production house.

Best way to find out if the photo is from the Kolberg film set, would be to compare the archaic uniform in the photo to those worn in the Kolberg film. That should be a start.

The 1943 Baron MÜNCHHAUSEN film was also shot in full colour. The 'special effects' were way ahead of their time. A great piece of kino. Check it out if you get a chance.

Cheers!
              Last edited by Larry Davis; 07-20-2011, 09:41 AM. Reason: Timing, timing, it's always in the timing......

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Davis View Post

The 1943 Baron MÜNCHHAUSEN film was also shot in full colour. The 'special effects' were way ahead of their time. A great piece of kino. Check it out if you get a chance.

Cheers!
                The scene where the Baron is flying through the air on the cannon ball is great.

Kolberg is the film I was thinking about yes.

Regards,
                Chris.

Comment

The uniform colour is wrong for the Frenchies as well as Prussians, so's I'm betting on Baron MÜNCHHAUSEN. It looks a lot like the Baron's tunic and hat.
                  That is, we are still assuming this photo is associated with a film production of some sort?

I asked a few of my mates what knows about early uniform:

Grymm said,

" A very confused Chelsea Pensioner with senile dementia who got on the wrong train by mistake?

I'd go for Munchausen, he's traditionally shown in red, Fred's usually in Blue."

And der Kapitan Reech said,

"Nah, it's a reenactment event, queue for the gents. The Beer tent theme was "45" period costume, only one bloke had kit for 1745....."

So there we have it, there are more stones in the Baron MÜNCHHAUSEN jar than in Freddie's, and jury is still out on the lot from Kolberg.

Comment

why do you think this color picture was taken so late in the war ?
                    Ian

Comment

This photo is not a Kolberg set, thats for sure. The uniform looks
                      "made up" to me, and its not similar to the uniforms in Kolberg.

I never saw the Münchhausen movie to the end, but in that movie
                      many types of different phantasy uniforms are used. Still that picture
                      dont has to be a movie set, such old style uniforms were also used
                      on parades sometimes, or from Schützenvereinen (Gunners Club).

I also remember seeing some pictures of a whole SS unit in old
                      type uniforms, on a honorary event to Friedrich II. death day if i remember correct.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X