Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY Times asks for help on photoalbum

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...hoto-album/?hp

Not sure how this can be worth 6 figures uinless he is including cents. Too bad for the seller if he is expecting this to be his ticket out of financial woes.

This looks quite run of the mill to me (although I am not a photo collector). Just the media hyping up the drama I would say.

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by crfraser View Post
      Not sure how this can be worth 6 figures uinless he is including cents. Too bad for the seller if he is expecting this to be his ticket out of financial woes.

This looks quite run of the mill to me (although I am not a photo collector). Just the media hyping up the drama I would say.

Colin
      Agree with you there. It's a nice album but not that extraordinary at all. I have a stack of albums I would like to increase the value of, so maybe they should give me a call too.

Comment

Looks like the photographer has been identified, nice proffesional photos but the owner is living in fantasy land if he thinks it's worth 5 figures, let alone 6.

http://www.salzburger-geschichte.at/LGAK156.pdf

Harriet Scharnberg
        Hamburg, Germany
        June 21st, 2011
        10:34 am
        The photographs, at least a lot of them, were taken by the photographer Franz Krieger (1914-1993). Krieger worked as a photojournalist in Salzburg (Austria). In the summer of 1941 he went to Minsk as a member of the "Reichs-Autozug Deutschland". In Minsk, he took pictures of soviet prisoners of war and he also visited the Jewish ghetto and photographed the poor people there. On his way back to Berlin he took the pictures of Hitler meeting Horthy in Marienburg. A lot of Krieger's pictures are already published, accompanied by an excellent essay on Krieger's life and photographs. For further information see: Peter F. Kramml/Roman Strassl: Der Salzburger Pressefotograf Franz Krieger (1914-199). Bildberichterstattung im Schatten von NS-Propaganda und Krieg. Salzburg 2008.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Definitely agree with what has been said here. Some auction house is gonna team up with the owner and use the media hype to sell it for far more than what its worth. Slightly better than average album, but nothing to drop more than a couple hundred on IMO.
          Thanks for sharing this article Nick

Comment

By the way, reference to the article along with a small photo was even on the front page of today's International Herald Tribune.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

A private individual is looking for publicity, in order to make more money from an upcoming sale (while retaining their anonymity), and the media are tripping up over themselves to accomodate ?

Clearly this item is worth nowhere near 6 figures yet the media do not seem to be aware of this. Also Yad vashem are dragged into the story to explain why some of the photos are previously published. This whole scenario/ story strikes me as very odd.

Comment

I did not click the link, but if is not worth megabucks as you guys state, it is probably a guy with a connection at the Times that got an article done to pump of the value of something exponentially.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X