A Photo for our Freinds in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Photo for our Freinds in Canada

Got this interesting photo today depicting Various branches of the German Forces. However, on the back is where it gets interesting.
    As you can see the top of the poskarte is labeled "Prisoner of War Mail". On the side reads: "Camp 21 Ottowa, Canada". I did some quick research and found that Camp 21 was called "Espanola Internment Camp" in Espanola, Canada. The town is known for its Paper Mills, and the old Paper Mill Buildings were where the Prisoners were Housed! The camp was in service from 1940- 1943.
    I found the photo fitting since the Camp was called Espanola and the Luftwaffe man on the left wears the Spanish Cross. lol
    I thought our Members from Canada would enjoy this one.
    (anyone know if POWs can be researched by there Prisoner #? This Feldwebels # is written on the card)
    Attached Files

side
    Attached Files

Comment

PM sent to you about this Bill...

"Hundestaffel"

Comment

Originally posted by Hundestaffel View Post
        PM sent to you about this Bill...

"Hundestaffel"
        Thank you Trev, Truly very helpful my friend!

I was trying to figure out in the picture who the man was that sent the Postcard, but it turns out that there are 5 Feldwebels in the photo! haha

Comment

Great postcard, and highly collectible.

Comment

Great postcard Bill

Comment

Great photo Bill. You should post it in the 'Show us your German POW photos' thread. I'll have to do some research on the subject, but where Waffen-SS men segregated from their Wehrmacht counterparts?

Comment

The prisoners in Canada were segregated by their enthusiasm for Naziism , amongst other things.

Espanola was also the holding point after the war for female former enemy non combatants who married Canadian Service men and were awaiting clearance.

Also, further proof that in Canadian camps, German service men were allowed to wear their awards, although I have yet to see a pic showing SS men wearing theirs..anyone have one?
                Last edited by Doug Kenwright; 06-17-2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Kenwright View Post
                  The prisoners in Canada were segregated by their enthusiasm for Naziism , amongst other things.

Espanola was also the holding point after the war for female former enemy non combatants who married Canadian Service men and were awaiting clearance.

Also, further proof that in Canadian camps, German service men were allowed to wear their awards, although I have yet to see a pic showing SS men wearing theirs..anyone have one?
                  Correct Doug. Prisoners were seperated into 3 groups.... white- "almost against Nazism" Black- Complete loyalty to the Fuhrer/full belief of Nazism....and I forget the other "color" but it was for the "neutral" people, which were the majority of the prisoners. Each Class would select a "Lager-Fuhrer" (usually the highest ranking Prisoner) to be in charge, in order to keep some sort of Military Discipline. Prisoners were allowed to wear there Uniforms with full insignia and awards ONLY if they were kept in tip top shape!! Once the uniform would wear out or look shabby, they were ordered to wear the "camp work uniforms" that had a big red circle on the back of the shirt. The men who gaurded these POW/Internment camps In Canada were WW1 Vets who were not fit for duty for ww2.
                  One thing I am itching to find out is if there were records kept of each Prisoner by there Prisoner Number?? Luckily the Feldwebels POW # is stated on the card.
                  Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it!
                  Bryant--- Im not sure if the SS were seperated completely from the Wehrmacht troops....the "color system" is the only segregation I know of. I would love to see a photo of any SS prisoners in Canada if they exist!
                  Last edited by 12thPanzer; 06-18-2011, 12:03 AM.

Comment

I would imagine that many of the airmen were Battle of Britain survivors..really nice postcard, I have many such items from the different camps

I lived in Oshawa during the summer for many years during my youth and used to go the grounds of the Bowmanville POW camp quite often, as well as the former site of camp 'X'

When I was ten, I was given a German officer's visor cap that was given to a local farmer that the POW worked for. In my stupidity, I played army with it, and lent it to a friend who left it in a vacant lot, never to be seen again..I did, however, keep a de-Nazified belt buckle and If I can find it, I will post a pic.

Comment

[QUOTE=Doug Kenwright;4712085]I would imagine that many of the airmen were Battle of Britain survivors =QUOTE]

I think you are probably right Doug. I would love to see some of your items sometime! You would have thought that the Canadians would have treated the Germans like dogs, especially the Luftwaffe men. But I guess they were treated pretty good. They were even paid when they out on work detail....which I found fascinating. And I know what you mean about things that got ruined playing "army" when younger. Even as a teenager paintballing, I ruined and let people borrow alot of nice US ww2+Vietnam things that I wish I had today.

Mousey- yeah you are definitely right about that! If they were indeed housed with the regular population of "blacks", thats where theyd be without question!

Comment

Bill;

Glad you found my PM useful, and I think you will find that good things will come out of it...

Yes, there were numerous SS POWs in Canada, with friend of mine owning a wonderful photo of a mixed grouping of POWs to include a "Das Reich" member (with full insignia, DR sleeveband clearly shown).

Here is a link to an absolute "Must Have" publication for those interested in POWs in Canada during WW2 and shortly thereafter...

http://can-esc.com/blog/2010/09/29/b...cts-1940-1948/

"Hundestaffel"

Comment

Many German POW's actually received pending decorations from Germany via the Red Cross. My old friend Jupp Buerschgens received his Ehrenpokal in this manner, courtesy of an investiture by the camp CO!

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
                            Many German POW's actually received pending decorations from Germany via the Red Cross. My old friend Jupp Buerschgens received his Ehrenpokal in this manner, courtesy of an investiture by the camp CO!
                            Oh wow, I didnt know this actually happened! Thats interesting to know.

Trev, Ive contacted, and will keep everyone posted if anymore info is uncovered. BTW this book looks great, I will have to pick it up.

Comment

There were so many aircrew POW's in Bowmanville that it was estimated that they could form complete wings from them!

There was a man here that wrote a great book on the Canadian camps and he relates that at one camp they had 75 complete HE-111 and Do-17 bomber crews from KG'S 1,2, 3, 26 and 76

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X