what is the value of this book in good condtion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the value of this book in good condtion

"REICSTAGUNG IN NURBERG 1933" Party Rally Commemorative book. This rare book was published in 1934 in Berlin commemorating the 1933 Reichsparteitag rally.

Here an offer for 120 €:

http://www.booklooker.de/app/detail....chID=144583246

here one for 290 € :

http://www.booklooker.de/app/detail....chID=837809333

and one for 150 €:

http://www.zvab.com/displayBookDetai...07&b=1&ref=kvk

Gerdan

Comment

Thanks, I paid 75 usd for it so I did OK. Its a Great book, my copy has Rhom in it. Did they recall this book and remove his photos?

Comment

No they did not. I have several early publications with Rohm in it.

Comment

There are 3 specific types of this particular title. Sadly, the poster kaiserwilhelm2 is incorrect concerning Röhm. There is at least 1 version which shows that Röhm was expurgated. An example of this editing appears on page 137 where in the first edition there is a picture of Röhm and in the subsequent editions POOF! he's gone.

There are other subtle differences between the 3 versions.

Ramon
          Last edited by ramon; 06-07-2011, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Value of your book very much depends in the condition that it is in. I have had quite a few issues of this book, but for some reason quite a number of them were in really poor condition when I got them ... Can you show a couple of pics of your's to get an idea of its condition? Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

One of the principle causes of damaged examples of this particular series of books is the clay substrate used to make the pages glossy. This material is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs moisture from the air. I've seen examples where, over the years, the pages have literally fused together and become a near solid block of pages. When one attempts to pull the pages apart, serious damage will occur. Re-introducing in a controlled fashion moisture in a steam can separate the pages, but this is a painfully slow and exacting process.

Along with the moisture absorbtion properties of this clay material is the problem of weight. These books are VERY heavy and it is often seen that examples of book will be in shaken condition. This weight raises heck with the binding. Pages can become separated and fall away from the binding.

Excellent condition examples bring a premium from serious collectors/buyers.

Ramon

Comment

Ramon, I guess our difference of opinion depends on how you interpret the question. Were the books (like today's Toyotas) recalled? I do not think so. Were later printings printed without Roehm, yes they were. Was Roehm removed from unsold copies? I am not sure but this could have been done. In any case recalled as I understand it means that an object is temporarely returned by the owner to the seller for some sort of action. This in my opinion was not done. Cheers, W

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
                  Ramon, I guess our difference of opinion depends on how you interpret the question. Were the books (like today's Toyotas) recalled? I do not think so. Were later printings printed without Roehm, yes they were. Was Roehm removed from unsold copies? I am not sure but this could have been done. In any case recalled as I understand it means that an object is temporarely returned by the owner to the seller for some sort of action. This in my opinion was not done. Cheers, W
                  Hello kaiserwilhelm2, in re reading and contextualizing your response properly, I entirely agree with your response. I have not seen any examples of this title where the authorities/publishers had books recalled and overprinted or applied paste overs on offending images. We do see this sort of thing in other titles such as The State of Peace and Freedom.

Cheers,

Ramon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X