Generals ID Help Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generals ID Help Request

I am in the process of sorting through my photograph collection to set aside what I want to sell/trade and I came upon this grouping I got a couple of years ago. It is a very nice grouping, but unfortunately, I was never able to research it properly, and before I make a final decision on what to do with it I would like to try to find some more information on it, if possible.

The group consists of approximately 120 photos from a command staff that served in the southern sector of the Eastern Front. The photos seem to span the period from early 1942 through spring 1943. At least a quarter of the photos come from the spring of 1943, taken in Budjansk and Cherson, when the Cossack units serving with the Germans were being assembled before moving off to Mielau to form the 1. Kosaken-Division. There are a number of excellent photographs of Cossaks, including shots of at least three Ataman of the Terek and Kuban Cossacks. The remainder of the photos in the group show various elements of theis unknown command staff in different locations through the southern sector, mostly in the Ukraine.

Many of the photos have writing on the back, most of which seems fairly detailed. Unfortunately, I am unable to even read script in English, so tackling it in German is just impossible, even though I am fairly good at understanding the language itself. Some of the writing is bit more legible (to me) than other parts, so I have been able to at least figure some of it out. Several of the photos show the "staff of von Kleist," although I don't see von Kleist himself at all (but I am terrible at identifying individuals in photos). Other photos show the "commanding general" of the staff from which the photos come - unfortunately, he is never named and I do not recognize him. From some of the information I have been able to read on the backs of the photos, I think that the photos are from a corps staff that operated in the sector of Heeresgruppe A.

I would really like to try and learn more about this grouping, so I am asking for any assistance that forum members can provide regarding identifying some of the individuals pictured in the group. To that end, I am attaching four photographs of general officers that appear in the group. I believe #1 shows the commanding general of the staff from which the photos come. #2 is one of the photos from Cherson 1943, #3 is from Kirowograd (?) but with no date, and the last photo is from Dresden.

I would also like to try and identify some more of the German officers and Cossack Ataman pictured in the Budjansk/Cherson portion of the group, but will do that on a separate thread. If it will help, I can also posts images of the backs of some of the photos that have more writing. Any help identifying these individuals is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.
    Jason

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
X