2 SS photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by max history View Post
    These photos are not fakes. I think the word fake is often used incorrectly. A fake is when something is created to fool another into believing it is something which it is not. Now if the figure in the image was originally a member of a Heer unit and the uniform in the image had been altered to give the false impression that he was a member of a SS unit, then that would be a fake photo. Alternatively, if a modern man dressed as a SS member last week and had his photo taken and it was printed on old paper, again to produce a false impression, then that also would be a fake. But images which were captured during the war (which these obviously were) and then printed on photo paper after 1945 are not fakes. They are original photos which may have been developed and printed after 1945. However, if they are sold as pre-1945 printed images, they are still not fakes, but the seller is guilty of deception.
    Everyone knows that when photos are developed and printed, one also gets the negatives. This provides the opportunity to print further prints of the images as long as the negatives remain viable. The image was still created when it was originally captured by the lens. The date of printing has no bearing on whether the images are fake or not; it is how they are represented. In a nutshell, an IMAGE is only fake when it is altered or created in order to represent something which it is not. A post-1945 printed image is not a fake, but the owner can commit deception if he represents it as a pre-1945 printed image. The photo remains the same....not fake, but an instrument used to deceive.
    Hope that makes sense!
    Max.
    Blah, blah, blah, blah, semantics.

The intent of these "reproductions" is to fool (that is deceive) collectors into believing they are pre-45' prints, something they are not, i.e; FAKE.

Comment

Originally posted by max history View Post
      Of course not and your statement here highlights something about you.
      This being a forum (i.e. a place for discussion and not one word interjections), I was just pointing out the common improper use of a term.
      I realize that, and you calling me a moron for making a simple observation highlights something about you.
      I fail to see the need to drag this matter on, persist if you must.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X