Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Award Document Help / SS Panzer Grenadier

Hello Gents,

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Photos & Paper, or in the Individual Research Forum. It seems to cross over into both. I'm posting scans of an award document that I've had for about 10 years, and it came from outside the traditional "militaria show circuit." I, unfortunately, can't say that it's vet's bought, becasue it's not. My question would be, what's it for, and any comments on it's originality. And way to further research the named individual?? As you can tell, I really have very little knowledge about this piece, but have always wanted to find out more.

Any help, or pointing me in the right direction, would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Close up of ink stamp...
    Attached Files

Comment

It is an award document for the Black wound badge, given to a member of SS Panzer (Grenadier?) Regiment 22, for wounds received 12 April 1944. I am having trouble reading the name, but if you can get the name, it may be possible to order find information on the recipient through one of the many SS researchers. Contact me offline and I can point you in the right direction.

Comment

Doug - I like this doc. It is for a wound suffered in April 1944 near Kovel, on the eastern front. This was SS Pz Gren Rgt 22's first action as it it had just been formed in 1943.

Comment

Thanks Craig, and Brian. I have to confess, I've never heard of Kovel. Would that be in the Ukraine, or Russia??

Comment

Both, actually, depending on when you're living. It has been part of Poland, Lithuania, Russia, and then Poland again, and then the USSR. These guys trade cities like kids trade baseball cards (except not as many fatalities with baseball cards). I think it's currently in the Ukraine.

Comment

To add a little more to what's already been said.
              It's a hospital issued doc, signed by a doctor. With woundbadges you'll find them being issued by either the mans unit, the hospital he was sent to or sometimes both (ie. he ended up with two award documents).

In case you didn't know SS-Pz.Gr.Rgt.22 was part of the 10 SS-Panzer Division 'Frundsberg'.

Researchwise, the interesting thing here will be to find out if he returned to his unit and was involved in the Normandy campaign or Market Garden.

The hospital's location i read as being Krosno which today is in South East Poland
              Last edited by Simon O.; 12-21-2009, 03:26 AM.
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

I read 'Mifka'. What does everyone else think?

Lovely doc!

Mike

Comment

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="94%"><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD width="100%"><MAP name=serviceMap>Here is one Franz Mifka, but perhaps not 'the' Franz Mifka. It is an interesting research topic worthy of additional investigation. Note the late date of death.<AREA href="detail_txt.asp?id=2565354&sec_id=4819B24FD00 80478BF2D9C85B2D4E2E1196C1581" shape=rect coords="54, 0, 173, 17"><AREA href="javascript<b></b>:NewWnd('content_ergebnis_detail.asp?druckvorsch au=true&id=2565354&sec_id=4819B24FD0080478BF2D9C85 B2D4E2E1196C1581',500,400,'druck',0,1)" shape=rect coords="178, 0, 277, 17"></MAP>

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="50%"></TD><TD width="50%" align=right>C2559124 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%"><!-- <tr> <td width="36%" class="headtabelle"></td> <td width="64%" class="bodytabelle"> </td> </tr>--><TBODY><TR><TD class=headtabelle width="36%">Nachname:</TD><TD class=bodytabelle width="64%">Mifka </TD></TR><TR><TD class=headtabelle width="36%">Vorname:</TD><TD class=bodytabelle width="64%">Franz </TD></TR><TR><TD class=headtabelle width="36%">Dienstgrad:</TD><TD class=bodytabelle width="64%">Unterscharführer </TD></TR><TR><TD class=headtabelle width="36%">Geburtsdatum:</TD><TD class=bodytabelle width="64%">07.08.1920 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=headtabelle width="36%"></TD><TD class=bodytabelle width="64%"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=headtabelle width="36%">Todes-/Vermisstendatum:</TD><TD class=bodytabelle width="64%">07.09.1945 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=headtabelle width="36%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

Very interesting comments, Simon. Thank you. That really helps flesh out the origins of this document.

And my next question was going to be...Can anyone make out the name this was issued to? But I think MJC already came up with the answer! I think you hit the nail on the head. Thank you very much. With this preliminary info, maybe I can learn more.

I have to ask, unless it's a "trade secret," but how did you come up with birth date, date of death, and final rank, MJC??

Comment

A trade secret sponsored by the good people at my favorite charity

www.volksbund.de

Dig deep and give often!

Douglas, please note that we may have ID'd the correct man, but it is too early to open the Champagne. Only further research can concusively link the data to your man.

Give me a few days. Cheers,

Mike Constandy

Comment

I understand. There could be other Mifka's.

Take your time...and I may end up owing you dinner for your help!

Comment

For those of you who don't know Mike, he is my first choice for research. I spend a lot of money with him every year, and it's well worth it! He has successfully located more obscure individuals than I ever thought possible. It would be very interesting if this guy turned out to be an ethnic German from Eastern Europe.

Comment

Mike who?

Comment

Read post #11
                              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X