Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Your Panzergruppe Afrika Kalender's

Hi Gents,

Please post Some Pictures of Your 1941-`43 Calendars.

I have a well worn 1943 and a less worn 1942 calender together with a few other AK items.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PzV View Post
      I have a well worn 1943 and a less worn 1942 calender together with a few other AK items.
      THat's Realy Nice! I like The 1942 style one better thought

Comment

I like any that I can get of the Afrika calenders. The problem is the acid content in the paper. If exposed to heat the chemical reaction is accelerated unfortunately.

Comment

Love the DAK items there man!
          Cheers, Steve
          ----------------------------------------------------------------
          "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

Steve, from what I understand they are easier to find in Australia than here!

Comment

I like any that I can get of the Afrika calenders. The problem is the acid content in the paper. If exposed to heat the chemical reaction is accelerated unfortunately.
              Acid? How is Acid used? What Kind of Reaction?

Comment

Panzerarmee Afr, much modern paper is made from wood and acid is used in the production process for inexpensive paper types. This is fine for short-lived items like a newspaper etc. but after a certain amount of time the acid in the paper tends to make the paper brittle and brown. This process is accelerated by heat. There are methods of removing/neutralizing the acid but it is expensive and time consuming. Most major archives have problems with this at the moment. The Germans were not producing a very high quality paper during the war and these calenders are an example of it. I have even considered "freezing" certain items to retard the chemical process. Stamp collectors and photo collectors have also this problem (not necessarily with the stamps or photos but with their storage) and for this reason look for acid-free paper. I am sure that you have seen books that have become brown and flaky when you turn the pages- this is a result of the acid in the paper in most cases. I also collect swords and have a problem with the leather of the Portopees reacting with the metal and helmet collectors can have the same problem (especially WWI).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X