Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open closed "Feldpostbriefe" ?

Dear Forum members,
    I am generally interested in german military history and over time it cristallized out that I am especially excited about complete (or most complete) german soldiers remains. Luckily I was able to get some true and genuine remains of those soldiers mostly directly from the family over time. It is not important to me how big or how succesfull a particular soldier was, but the more complete these remains are the more I am exicted. The best way to describe how I handle this remains is: I try to conserve them.
    First putting them into a correct time frame and then try to find out the greater historic military background.

However, I am still struggling with UNOPENED letters in this remains which returned to the sender with the stamp "Empfänger gefallen für Grossdeutschland"-

On one hand these are items which are untouched and never reached the son but returned.
    There is a certain feeling in me which says: "This is original - Do not open it !"

On the other hand it could be very interesting and historicaly valuable to know what was written there.

So my main main question is: Would you open those letters ???

I am keen to get founded replies as I feel to be in a deep inner conflict here !

Best Regards,
    Tom (Barmbeker)

Yes do open them as soon as you can please. You maybe able to bring some closure to familys via the volksbund/Wast/Red Cross etc:. There are many many people who are still searching for loved ones from the war so please open them and pass on what you know to researchers, fellow collectors and I'm sure you will make a difference in a lot of peoples lives...

Comment

"Napalm" thanks for your reply, but I think I have to be more precise.
      All circumstances about the soldiers are already known. I am talking about those few letters which are returned to the sender and which never were opened again.
      I think it would have been to painful for the parents to open them again as they already knew what they had been written.

BUT: Should I open those letters now/today ?

Regards, Barmbeker

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
      X