Double Language Signal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Language Signal?

How common is a double language signal? I Know that the magazine was printed in many languages, but i have a magazine from early 1941 which is ptined in German and Italian.

I'm wondering if anybody knows some more info about these (A few people suggested it was for the Troops in the mediterranian theatre...possible)

Rikhart,

the following bilingual editions of Signal existed:

German/Italian
    German/Spanish
    German/Hungarian
    French/Turkish (only one issue produced)

All these editions were created to circumvent country-specific obstacles to the publication of the respective single-language edition. For example, in Italy the government protested the dissemination of an all-Italian edition. In Hungary an import ban was imposed, which was undermined by the publishing of a German edition with Hungarian photo captions; this was then gradually expanded so the edition would feature more and more Hungarian text, thereby rendering the import ban ineffective.

Eventually the first three editions were turned into single-language editions when the aforementioned obstacles ceased to be a problem.

The French/Turkish edition was an ill-fated attempt to publish a Turkish-language edition in Turkey. French copies of Signal had been circulated there without problem, but the Turkish government took a very dim view to foreign propaganda publications in Turkish and had previously banned the all-Turkish edition of Signal. It was hoped that they would turn a blind eye to a French/Turkish edition; they did not, and the one issue produced in this configuration was not even admitted for sale and therefore pulped on the spot.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
    X