Nürburgring Racing Images from the 30's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nürburgring Racing Images from the 30's

I was wondering if there are any 3rd Reich racing aficionados in this forum? If so, I have a question. I have been offered a large collection of negatives from the family of a motorcycle racer who competed in the Nürburgring circuit during the mid to late 1930's and was also an avid photographer of that sport as well as auto racing at the same track.
    I was wondering if original images of that genre are rare and desirable or if they are rather common and not so desirable because it was such a popular sport and many people photographed the events (i.e. like NASCAR now). I am trying to gauge if the collection is worth the price that the seller wants. Here are some representative images to let you see the themes and their quality:

Thanks for looking!

seekwhence

That sounds like a fantastic collection, and certainly of some historical significance. Anything to do with the old Nordschleife is always of interest. My dad used to go to the 'ring as a kid and watch heroes such as von Brauchitsch, Carraciola, Rosemeyer, Stuck and "Schorsch" Meyer compete.

Comment

Thanks for your reply VtwinVince! I was begining to think from the lack of interest in the forum, that the collection was not worth buying. Your response certainly gives me pause in believing that now!

seekwhence

Comment

I would think it would also depend on the content of the photos. If there are photos of early Mercedes or BMW, Ferarri, etc racing cars or unique prototype vehicles, then the photos would have a lot of value.

Comment

Exactly, and have a look for anything to do with Auto Union, as these are of interest, and of course you could luck out and find something from Nuvolari's incredible victory at the 'ring with Alfa.

Comment

I too collect motorcycle racing photos from the Third Reich period. I have several motorcyle racer's licenses from the mid 30s. By any chance is the family named "Brückner"? I have several of his motorcycle racer's liceses issued by the ONS/NSKK.

Comment

Thanks for your message DocumentsGuy! I don't know the name of the racer who took the photos (he is/was an uncle to the person who has the negatives). As soon as I know, I will pass along that information to you. It would be incredible beyond belief if we found out you have his racing license!

seekwhence

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X