Whats This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats This?

Hi all, I am looking for help identifying what this pass or ID is for.
    thanks for the help

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...112/img321.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...112/img320.jpg

Postal (worker?) identity card.

best
    Hank
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

any ideas on why it is also in french ??

Comment

His birth city is Elsenheim, in the Alsace in France, so the territory which got annexated to the Reich. That may be a clue.

Comment

thanks for the info it really helps

-Matt

Comment

It's also in french because it is a membership card for the Universal Postal Union. It was continued to be issued through out the war years.
            Jeff

Comment

The Universal Postal Union (Ger. Weltpostverein) based in Bern, Switzerland was established in 1874. Prior to its creation, to send and receive international mail countries had to sign separate postal treaties with other countries. The U.S. called for an international conference in 1863 on regulating the world-wide postal system. In 1874, at the International Postal Congress organized by Heinrich von Stephan, Director of the Imperial German Postal Service, the Treaty of Bern was signed which established a "General Postal Union" headed by von Stephan. In 1878, the name was changed to "Universal Postal Union." The Union coordinates postal policy between member nations, regulates the world-wide postal system and oversees security of the international postal service. In 1948 the Universal Postal Union became a special organization of the United Nations.

From Imperal times Germany was a key member of the Universal Postal Union. When the Nazis came to power in January 1933 they saw great propaganda benefit in continuing Germany’s membership in international organizations as a means to legitimize themselves and their grip on the government. Continued membership in the Universal Postal Union allowed Nazi Germany to take its place in the community of nations as a full-fledged member. German postal workers were encouraged to join the Union as individual members to further boost Nazi Germany’s prestige.

Comment

Bruce,
                Nicely put.
                Jeff

Comment

Excellent thanks everyone for the information I really appreciate it

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X