Photos at the SOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos at the SOS

I didn't get to attend the SOS, but my brother lives in the area and he went. He tells me that for the most part, what he saw were common postcard portraits, wedding photos, etc with nothing special showing, but priced $20 and up each.

For those who attended the SOS, what was your experience?

Thanks,
    Greg
    sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
    www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

The photo selection was poor, with a few exceptions. IMO. the exceptions to me were some of the albums I looked at had a few good photos but not enough to lay out $175-$350.

I did notice a fair number of fake images being sold as period. More so than the prior years.
    I came away with buying only 5 photos and these were at the upper end of pricing but still worth what I paid.

Mike
    Originally posted by Greg Walden View Post
    I didn't get to attend the SOS, but my brother lives in the area and he went. He tells me that for the most part, what he saw were common postcard portraits, wedding photos, etc with nothing special showing, but priced $20 and up each.

For those who attended the SOS, what was your experience?

Thanks,
    Greg

Comment

I came back disappointed. Not that I returned empty handed but no where near what I was expecting to find. I certainly did better last year at the SOS and at the MAX. Perhaps next year. I cannot explain why but many folks I talked to who were looking for specific items were also let down.

A picked up some SS photos, AH PC, RAD in Munich group, DAK 2 pc set, and group photos of SS, police, musicians. Some portraits with 50yr Faithful medal, Gau badges, FJ, finials, and what looks like a RR eagle. Mind you, these 'medal' photos mostly are very small or even slanted views.

The most interesting find was late on Saturday. It's the original portrait photo and grave photo used for the deathcard which is included. But it's not a 'regular' DC so to speak. I think it's the photographic template to make the deathcards or perhaps the model to show the family how it will look before mass printing.

One dealer that had literally boxes of high quality photos last year only had 2 shoe boxes worth of photos. Perhaps the other dealers beat me to his items during the morning setup but I don't think he brought as much.

I young guy from Germany was selling from his bag and he offered 2 mid-sized (slightly larger than PC) KM photos of a RK guy with minesweeper. Both for...$250. Pass. He had other nice items but too steep. I saw some nice SS albums. One was about $2250; another I didn't ask price. My fave was a gauleiter photo set (ie, not in original album). Fantastic photos. But it was part of a huge grouping of 3R and US items. I managed to photograph one of the gauleiter photo's reverse stamps...see below
      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
      X