Krimkämpfer and EK I Group – Franz Karl Brentrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon-

Yes, you're right about the dagger being the symbol for the 290.ID and that was my best guess too- thanks for the confirmation!

I think you might also be right about the 'Kämpfer der Infanterie', or at minimum I think it's a good start. The manner in which is entered into the Soldbuch, is also very consistent with entries for the Führerpacket. Will have to look into this some more...

John

Comment

Very nice group John!

I toyed with the idea of buying this one, as it was on the dealers site for some time...it is far better than I had originally thought!

Ian
      Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

wow !! this is a massive grouping JOHN !! LOVE IT !!!! it tells amazing history

He supossed to be 84 yrs old now - if I calculate correctly - is He still alive ?! You have any info about it John ?

Comment

the Soldbuch photo is excellent and the grouping is very nice! Is the entry in the Soldbuch allowing the wearing of the divisional symbol?
          I have attached a few scans of photos from this Division with the cap badges. Please note that the divisional badge was also worn on the pocket flaps (left).

PzV
          Attached Files

Comment

one more
            Attached Files

Comment

badge on the hat
              Attached Files

Comment

and last one, all of these photos are from a fairly extensive photo album of this unit
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
                  Very nice group John!

I toyed with the idea of buying this one, as it was on the dealers site for some time...it is far better than I had originally thought!

Ian

Hi Ian-

Yes, it was for sale last year and it wasn't cheap, especially with the weak dollar. However, I just couldn't resist

Mike, I don't have any further info on the soldier, other than I know he did survive the war, because I have his discharge certificate from early May 1945.

Thanks,
                  John
                  Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 01-19-2008, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PzV View Post
                    the Soldbuch photo is excellent and the grouping is very nice! Is the entry in the Soldbuch allowing the wearing of the divisional symbol?
                    I have attached a few scans of photos from this Division with the cap badges. Please note that the divisional badge was also worn on the pocket flaps (left).

PzV
                    Hi PzV-

I don't see any entries in the Soldbuch for the 'tradition' badge...Also, thank you very much for sharing your scans of the 290 ID. It is very interesting to note the wearing of the badge on both the cap and tunic.

John

Comment

John, sometimes it is a separate sheet simply placed in the Soldbuch and easily lost but that does not degrade from your excellent grouping. If you would like these scans in better resolution no problem.

PzV

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Cummings View Post
                        Wounds:
                        Chronic inner ear infection
                        Grenade shrapnel left buttock (I believe)
                        More shrapnel, left upper arm & shoulder.

Hank
                        correct Hank

the German text is:

1.) chronische Mittelohrentzündung

2.) Granat Splitter Verletzung linker Gesässbacken

3.) Granat Splitter Verletzung linker Oberarm + Schulter

Excellent group!

Hardy

Comment

Originally posted by John M. Donovan View Post
                          I know there is always a fair amount of speculation regarding blood on these items and so to satisfy my own curiousity, I tested the stains in the Soldbuch with a forensic product called Hemident. For $18 (shipping included) I was able to order a kit with 10 testing units from a supplier.

I tested a very small piece of the paper from the Soldbuch and can confirm now 100% that the stains are indeed blood. The test does not differentiate between human and animal blood, but I think the answer here is fairly obvious...
                          The wounds that he received to his left upper arm and shoulder on June 28 1944 -support the blood stains on the Soldbuch as well.

Hardy

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
                            The wounds that he received to his left upper arm and shoulder on June 28 1944 -support the blood stains on the Soldbuch as well.

Hardy

Hi Hardy-

I haven't visted the thread for a few days....You make a great point, thanks for bringing that up.

John

Comment

John,

Franz-Karl Brentrup is my uncle. He died peacefully some thirty years ago of old age, married, no kids, still living in Recklinghausen as shown in his Soldbuch. His sister Käthe Brentrup - same first name as her mother, née Haase (c.f. Soldbuch) - was my mother.

I was in the process of sorting through old family docs when I stumbled over some WW II photos of which one fascinated me in particular: my uncle and my father both in uniform sitting together. Franz-Karl was already with his Leutnant's insignia witk EK II ribbon and EK I, with Nahkampfspange, Sturm- and Verwundetenabzeichen and with the dagger, the symbol of his unit on his left breast pocket. For whatever reason, I decided to enter his name in the internet and was stunned when I found this page with so many details about Franz Karl. I will try to upload the fotos in my possession in the next days and I can provide some further information about his postwar private life in Northrhine Westfalia. But please, tell me, how you got hold of all those documents? That's most interesting...

Best regards
                              georg.01

Comment

Hi Georg,

Wow, what a small world!

I'm sad to say that I no longer own this group. I sold it a few years ago on the forum. I had originally purchased the group from the dealer Helmut Weitze in Hamburg.

I would encourage you to post on this thread though. The current owner may see the thread and contact.

Best Regards,
                                John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X