Krimkämpfer and EK I Group – Franz Karl Brentrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Krimkämpfer and EK I Group – Franz Karl Brentrup

Here is a neat little group which I’ve enjoyed…

Franz-Karl enlisted at the age of 17 in the fall of 1940, seeing his first action during the opening stages of Operation Barbarossa in June 1941, serving with the 399. Inf. Rgt. of the 170 ID.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o><!--[endif]-->
    The 170. ID saw action with the 11. Army as part of AG South, including fighting in the Crimea from Oct. 1941-Feb. 1942. Later, the 170 ID fought with the 18.Army of AG North in the battles in/around Leningrad.

Sometime between late 1943 and early 1944, Franz-Karl was transferred to the 290 ID, serving with the Divisions Fusilier Battalion. The 290 ID fought at part of the 16. Army with AG North, later becoming of the units trapped in the Courland which eventually surrendered to the Soviets at the end of the war.

I hope you enjoy...

John

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o>

Franz's first award, an 'ersatz' or field-made document for the Infantry Assault Badge.
    Attached Files

Comment

Franz received his first wound 3 days after the start of Barbarossa, but did not receive his award document for almost 8 months later!
      Attached Files

Comment

The very next day though, he received his first award for bravery. The document is signed by divisional commander, Generalmajor Erwin Sander (RK am 03.09.1942).
        Attached Files
        Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 01-17-2008, 01:46 AM.

Comment

For service on the Eastern Front
          Attached Files

Comment

A 'Krimkämpfer' now!
            Attached Files

Comment

For his third wound, Franz received the Silver Wound Badge.
              Attached Files

Comment

Another field-typed award document, for 15 days close combat!
                Attached Files

Comment

He has risen through the ranks, this 'frontschwein' is now an officer, receiving the Iron Cross 1st Class signed by divisional commander Gerhard Henke

Attached Files

Comment

By September 1944, Franz-Karl has been wounded 5 times and receives a very late-war award for the Wound Badge in Gold!
                    Attached Files

Comment

His Soldbuch with a great uniform photo! Of note is the original rank listed on the cover page (Schützen), as this was his original and only Soldbuch for the entire war.
                      Attached Files

Comment

This is one of the best uniform photo's I've had in a Soldbuch, all his decorations including the Krimschild.

He is wearing his EKI in the photo, which he received in April 1944, therefore the photo must have been added to the Soldbuch after this time.

I am curious about the authorizing stamps, if anyone has some input here...The stamps read '
                        Kriegsmarine Kommando 2. Ausbildungs Abteilung', which might correspond to his last Ersatztruppenteil located in Lübeck.

Also, I am curious about the dagger pin on the Feldbluse, any thoughts? This was the symbol for his last unit, the 290 ID...

John

Attached Files

Comment

Carried this Soldbuch from 30 October 1940 until May 1945!

As you can see there is heavy staining on the bottom of the Soldbuch, this is in fact Franz's blood. It get's thicker towards the back of the book too...A potent reminder that unlike the Wehrpass, the Soldbuch was carried in combat!
                          Attached Files

Comment

His postings.
                            Attached Files

Comment

His close combat entries. It would appear that he eventually qualified for the Close Combat Badge in Silver, but was never awarded one.

Of particular interest here, are the entries in March 1943 for Krasny Bor. This was the site of a the famous battle only the month before in the Leningrad Oblast where the German 250 ID (the Spanish 'Blue' Div.) fought off successive Soviet attacks.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X