MAX Show Photo Finds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAX Show Photo Finds?

I admit that I originally became involved in a divergent, somewhat off-topic discussion on what I am about to say, in another thread about MAX Show finds. So, before I went off-topic any further, I decided to just post a seperate thread in the appropriate forum. So, here goes:

I was unable to attend The MAX show this year, as I had planned. Instead I went to the very large and local National Gun Day and JAG Show in Louisville, Kentucky, as a consolation. On occasion, (usually more occasions than not), I've actually found some better stuff there than I have previously found at the bigger shows.

For example, at a previous Gun Day/JAG Show, I found a couple of very reasonably-priced SS-Ausweiss' definitely worth more than I paid! Just yesterday, I found what has turned out to be a 100% original photograph of Hitler, with General Keitel and Admiral Raeder. Hitler is sitting on a bench looking at papers opposite Keitel and Raeder who are engaged in conversation. It is a very casual, unposed picture, looking as if none of them really knew or cared that they were being photographed. It's also a larger than usual picture, which is an added bonus!

I've been a photographer for nearly 25 years now, and it sure looks good to me. I also showed it to another photographer with even more experience than me, and he also said it is undoubtedly an original photograph. Among other things, it has some convincing cracks in a thicker emulsion which is characteristic of older photos. It is also nothing I or anybody I know has ever seen published in any of the reference books. It may be a never-before-anywhere published photo for all I know. What's better is that I got it for a very reasonable price ($200.00), less than I believe it is really worth. I sure doubt I could have found a deal like that at the MAX or the SOS where everybody is looking for that kind of thing! Most people at a Gun Show are not really looking for militaria so much, and even fewer are looking for original Third Reich photos--a great advantage, indeed! Anyway, I've always wanted a real photo like that, and that's what I got at a good price, someplace where I would have least expected to find it. Sometimes the best stuff isn't at the biggest places or at the biggest prices.

So, to further compare how gun shows (with peripheral but frequent photo finds) compare to specific larger Third Reich militaria shows, I will ask this question: For those photo collectors out there who scoured this year's MAX for period pictures, how successful were you? How many were there, and what was the price range or average price for them? I myself attended the MAX Show last year looking for period photos, SS-Ausweis', and various paper products, and I found nothing. Maybe, however, I was just there too late, or looking soon enough in the wrong places. Ironically, I've found many such things I've wanted at better deals, at a gun show, where competition and prices were exceptionally low. As we all know, that combination of things is very good indeed, and definitely cause for celebration. So, for that, I'll appropriately post the party-hat smiley...

Chris
    Last edited by Stahlhelm; 10-07-2007, 05:08 PM.

I found a few photos and saw some amazing images, Solbuchs, etc.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Your picture pretty much speaks the proverbial "thousand words." It looks like your hunting yielded some great trophies, indeed...

Chris

Comment

"Just yesterday, I found what has turned out to be a 100% original photograph of Hitler, with General Keitel and Admiral Raeder. Hitler is sitting on a bench looking at papers opposite Keitel and Raeder who are engaged in conversation. It is a very casual, unposed picture, looking as if none of them really knew or cared that they were being photographed. It's also a larger than usual picture, which is an added bonus!"

I saw your picture at the show!! I found it interesting!! If I had known it was original I would have bought it myself (if the price was right!!) Did you look it over out of the frame before buying? Asking price?

A few scans would be nice!! Do you live in Kentucky?

Comment

Originally posted by NEllis View Post

I saw your picture at the show!! I found it interesting!! If I had known it was original I would have bought it myself (if the price was right!!) Did you look it over out of the frame before buying? Asking price?

A few scans would be nice!! Do you live in Kentucky?
          Yes, I did check it out quite thoroughly, before I bought it, and I've looked it over even better since. The truth is that I've only since found even more reasons to say that it's original. The price was $200.00, and although I don't exactly know what it's worth, I would expect that it's worth more than I paid for it. In any case, and most importantly, it sure is worth more than that to me. I've seen smaller photos of him, said to be original prints, for much more than that, I know.

Chris

P.S. I can't post any scans at this time, because I don't have a scanner. It's also back in the frame at this time, which further complicates that just a bit.

Comment

pc

I got couple of things...here's one neat postcard below and linked is an AH and Sepp Dietrich photo:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=245323
            Attached Files

Comment

Is this the Hitler, Keitel, Raeder photo you bought at the show? This one was published in the book, Hitler Closeup by Jochen von Lang, (New York: Macmillian Publishing Co, Inc., 1973) [originally published in German, 1969 by Gerhard Stalling Verlag, Oldenburg and Hamburg.]

It is a great photo.

Steve
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Steve Sherlock; 10-08-2007, 07:49 PM. Reason: typo
              ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Wow! This is VERY interesting, indeed! Thanks Steve! My picture was taken at the same time and place, but it is not exactly the same picture. What appears to be an SS guy standing behind Hitler in the photo above is not standing in that same place in my photo. Also, Keitel's and Raeder's head and hands are not in the same positions. In my photo Keitel is looking at Raeder, not at the camera. Hitler's hands are also not in the same position. Very interesting! Mine must be one of at least a couple of photos that were taken at that same time.

When I first saw the photo above, I first thought that's exactly it, and it didn't seem to be the best thing. Of course, I know that more than one photo could have been made from a negative, allowing mine to be an original, no matter what. But, the fact that mine is another shot in the same day and time makes it even better, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again, Steve!

Comment

Yours might have been taken by the same photographer, or perhaps even another one who was also there. It's nice to see you found a different one. It's a great photo, as I said before.

Steve
                  ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for all the help with that! I really appreciate it! Since I don't have that book, I might never have known about any of that.

Chris

Comment

Just curious as to why you think these types of photos are worth $200 or more. I'm a collector of photos and I have and had quite a few privately taken Hitler photos with other high ranking personalities. To me at least they aren't worth as much as the privately taken photos of highly decorated Combat vets of special units......which cost far less than the price you are quoting as a bargain price...or was it that much because it was the MAX show. Bill

Originally posted by Stahlhelm View Post
                      Yes, I did check it out quite thoroughly, before I bought it, and I've looked it over even better since. The truth is that I've only since found even more reasons to say that it's original. The price was $200.00, and although I don't exactly know what it's worth, I would expect that it's worth more than I paid for it. In any case, and most importantly, it sure is worth more than that to me. I've seen smaller photos of him, said to be original prints, for much more than that, I know.

Chris

P.S. I can't post any scans at this time, because I don't have a scanner. It's also back in the frame at this time, which further complicates that just a bit.
                      Last edited by W Petz; 10-09-2007, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I agree 200$ for a private Hitler photo is not a bargain price, even if it - at first sight - has never been published before. I think Chris (EKman) is really into these Hitler candid shots, perhaps he can advise on the subject.

Comment

Hi Tim,

Chris just got some one of a kind private Hitler shots from me, along with KZ photos which appear to be worth much more than Hitler pics but still not in the $200 range. Bill

Originally posted by Tim De Craene View Post
                          I agree 200$ for a private Hitler photo is not a bargain price, even if it - at first sight - has never been published before. I think Chris (EKman) is really into these Hitler candid shots, perhaps he can advise on the subject.

Comment

W Petz and Tim,

Since you obviously know more about photo value than I do, then I must be wrong. That just means I've learned something else I need to know. I just had no idea that larger original photos of Hitler and significant generals, etc. were worth so relatively little. That'll just be my lesson for the day, and I thank both of you for the information.

However, on a brighter note, I must say that the scenario could have been worse. I at least have an original photo that I do like. I could have instead bought a photo which turned out to be a copy and worth nearly nothing. Then, I surely would not have liked it at all. So, I will then just be thankful for what I do have and the advice I have received here today, all of which has made me a wiser collector.

Thanks again,

Chris
                            Last edited by Stahlhelm; 10-09-2007, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X