No announcement yet.

Gebirgsjäger combat photo album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Ace. Of course you have my permission to save the photos to your computer. All scans are marked properly with my name.

I agree the uniforms in #8 are looking quite odd, there are more photos in the album without the collar tabs.

The rest of the album contains some more group shots, graves, KIA Russians, Russian POW's, pioneering etc. But this is a nice selection!

Comment

Thanks Tim
      Ace

Comment

first thing to note is that they're all wearing the GAB which indicates they're not from one of the gebirgsjäger regiments. Perhaps pionier or from the aufklärungs abteilung.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Aha! That's a good point. I would say they're definately pioneers then, as there is a fairly large number of bridge and bridge construction photos in the album. In #13, they're building their way through the water and mud as well.

Comment

Hello Tim,

Great Photo Album!!!!!!!

I think that is the 4. Gebirgs Division. There is no Ostmedaille Ribbon or Ribbon Bar. The 4. Gebirgs Division began to fight after the winter of 1940-41 in Russland.

Regards,

Schmidt

Comment

Originally posted by wschmidt View Post
              Hello Tim,

Great Photo Album!!!!!!!

I think that is the 4. Gebirgs Division. There is no Ostmedaille Ribbon or Ribbon Bar. The 4. Gebirgs Division began to fight after the winter of 1940-41 in Russland.

Regards,

Schmidt
              The invasion of the soviet union started on the 22nd June 1941. The Ostmedaille was for the winter of 41\42 and we already know the album is ca.1941.

If you've got bridge building Tim then a pionier btl. sounds quite likely. So either Geb.Pi.Btl.54 or 94. A tough call as both divisions belonged to the same Korps.
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim De Craene View Post
                This is a real mystery photo to me. It looks like a POW digging up a coffin which had been burried there. What is he digging up, how did he know it was there, and WHY? Any ideas/speculations?

If the album is to a pionier unit then perhaps this is some sort of mine or boobytrap.

Comment

Nice album , very nice pics.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Yes Romanian foreign volunteers.

Incredible album. I wish you'd sell.

Comment

My thoughts exactly, though it appears that the pow is digging it out. if it was a mine clearing operation using pow's I wouldn't stand that close to take that photo.

Tim great album!
                      Originally posted by Simon orchard View Post
                      If the album is to a pionier unit then perhaps this is some sort of mine or boobytrap.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input.

Mansal, I'd say they are regular Romanian troops, not foreign volunteers in German service.

Indeed they could not have worn an Ostmedaille as the album ends autumn 1941.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim De Craene View Post
                          Thanks everyone for the input.

Mansal, I'd say they are regular Romanian troops, not foreign volunteers in German service.
                          Indeed they could not have worn an Ostmedaille as the album ends autumn 1941.
                          That's what I meant, excuse me.

Comment

Tim,

On the POW digging, it looks like some kind of mine/boobytrap to me as well. The wooden bar across is the part of the trap that, when compressed, ignites the trap. Being closer to the surface of the ground. The ground above that "bar" would have been loose soil while the dirt around it could have been better packed. The loose soil would have allowed a foot or vehicle tire to better depress the trigger.

The prisoner digging, while (from the German point of view) he would be no great loss, is perhaps not so devious. If he was captured in the area, he may well have known of the location of the mines/traps and as likely helped lay them. Who else could better clear the field than a man that helped set it?

Excellent album!

Comment

I would love to see more photo's!

Comment

Grüß Di’ Jäger Tim und Bergkameraden,

Wow! Great find with that album. Are there any more clues like names, places, or units in the album? Hard to say whether this album is from a member of the 1st or 4th Gebirgsdivisions since they fought together through the Ukraine and into the Caucasus. I can identify a few things that catch my eye.

1. In Photos # 3, 7, and 12 you see Jägers wearing the General Assault Badge. Therefore, these are not Gebirgsjägers from the rifle regiments. I think they are probably Gebirgspioniers, or perhaps some other support unit from the division.

2. The Russian POW in Photo #5 is digging up a Russian T-4 anti-tank mine.

3. Great photo in #6 with the officer trimming the Gebirgspionier’s “Jägerbart” or “hunter’s beard.” Notice the officer’s tailor made Bergmütze in Lt. Gray doeskin wool, Reithose, and Reitsteifel.

4. Again, in #7, another officer with a private purchase Lt. Gray Bergmütze and the General Assault Badge.

5. In #8, Both the NCO (left photo) and Jäger (right photo) are wearing field-modified Drillichjacke with added breast pockets…NCO has pleated and the Jäger has plain. The NCO wears only the Tress on the collar according to regulations for the Drillichjacke. This is 1941, a year before the 4-pocket HBT summer tunic was introduced.

6. Photo #11 shows Romanian soldiers (perhaps mountain troops) with one of the troopers carrying the Czech ZB-30 machine gun…the father of the British Bren Gun.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X