Flea Market Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flea Market Find

Found these 3 cards along with a photo album at the flea market last Thurday. Can anyone translate some of it?
    Last edited by Ken B.; 08-21-2007, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

The fronts of the cards say Ken B. Collection.
              They are collectible cards commemorating the NAZIs.
              pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
                The fronts of the cards say Ken B. Collection.

Comment

I see someone has a sense of humor here at least.

Comment

First one shows Goebbels I do believe. It's some party rally with SA members.

Comment

These are all cigarette cards from the relatively well known album "Deustchland Erwacht" (Germany awakens).

No. 3 says "The nation carries the dead of 30 January to their graves (Maikowski and Zauritz)"

best
                      Hank
                      Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                      ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Thanks Hank
                        But wouldn't these be a little large to be considered cigarette cards?
                        6 1/2" x 4 3/4"

Comment

Originally posted by Ken B. View Post
                          Thanks Hank
                          But wouldn't these be a little large to be considered cigarette cards?
                          6 1/2" x 4 3/4"
                          Hank is correct. There are a few albums the Nazis produced that had cards in that format. The Adolf Hitler album is probably the most common but not far behind is the 1936 Olympic series (two volumes). Deutschland Ewache is much more scarce but these are definitely cards for that album.

These type of albums were very popular in Germany in the 1910 - 1940 time frame. I believe the Brits also produced quite a few during the same period and covered a range of topics. You see them about plants and animals, the colonies, flags of the world, film stars of the early 20th century and military topics like WW1 etc. During the Reich many were produced to distribute Nazi propaganda and tended to focus on military topics and German history.

As a kid in the US in the 1960s I had one about the Animal Kingdom. I forget where the cards came from but it might have been Phillips 66 gas station. Burgerking offered a similar but much smaller promotion for the movie Star Wars. They gave out a 4 page fold out sheet that had stamps you would get for buying the meal deal. There is kind of an evolution to it and they seem to be going extinct now.

Cheers, Bill Huber

Comment

Thanks guys.
                            I'm familiar with the AH cig album. Just thought these would be a little big to be regular cig cards.

All your replies have been helpful.

Comment

Wow, Really neat photo card. I had a photo taken possibly at the same time this card was taken which shows the same two fellows in the fore ground. The SA chap is the riechs sports minister, can't remeber his name. When I get home I will post the scan for comparision.

Mike
                              Originally posted by Ken B. View Post
                              Found these 3 cards along with a photo album at the flea market last Thurday. Can anyone translate some of it?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X