Flak and Horcherabzeichen award documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flak and Horcherabzeichen award documents

I have an unusual set of documents to the same Luftwaffe man. The first is a Luftwaffe Flak Abzeichen award document signed by Job "Odebrecht" (thanks very much to Rick L. for ferreting out this obscure information through lots of hard legwork)who was the General of the Flakartillerie for the Luftgau in Belgium and Northern France. He was the winner of the Knights Cross, German Cross in Gold and served with the navy, army, police and the air force. Apparently he had a really fascinating career that would make a great movie. A spy in Africa,he was taken prisoner after a naval engagement on Lake Victoria. He managed to escape from the POW camp and survived for years after the end of the war. Lived from 1892 to 1982. Any additonal information if available would always be welcome.
    The badge was included with the award document. The second, and most unusual, document is a document naming him to the designation of Horcher (listener) and refers to him completing the basic examination from March 30, 1943 to April 19, 1943 and allowing him to wear the Horchertaetigkeitsabzeichen (listeners activity or work badge). It is stamped with a Paris area stamp and is in the German Fraktur printing. A really nice document on heavy vellum measuring nearly 8" by over 11" (approx 20.3 cm X 28 cm). I have never seen an award for this badge and actually cannot find the badge pictured in any references at my disposal. Any help in this area would be welcome. Rounding out the set was a 1st October medal with a nice Luftwaffe award document that has the LW eagle clutching the swastika in its talons at the top of the document. (sorry no scan) Any comments or additional information would really be appreciated. Thanks.
    Richard

[ 13 July 2001: Message edited by: Richard ]

Nice docs,
    What is the feldpost # on the 2nd doc (on the stamp)?
    Thanks for sharing
    Friendly
    François
    Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

Francois, the number appears to be L13983 but I cannot be sure of the 8 as it is pretty smudged and therefore only my best guess. It could also be a 6 or a 3. There is also a number 4 directly under the wreath with the swastika in it.
      Richard

Comment

Job Odebrecht (25.2.1892 Koblenz-Ehrenbreitstein--20.11.1982 Bad Homburg) had a career that would have done "Indiana Jones" proud. Arriving in German East Africa before WWI, he found himself stranded there by the British blockade,a nd served more than a year as an infantry platoon officer in the bush, before being made commander of one of two refitted steamers on Lake Tanganyika, armed with guns removed from the SMS "Ko"nigsberg." As Captain of the "Hedwig Wissmann," Odebrecht often slipped ashore on the Belgian side of the lake, disguised as an African, and walked unchallenged through enemy lines gathering intelligence before slipping back aboard his tiny "war" vessel.

On 9 February 1916 "Hedwig Wissmann" steamed into action against two British manned improvised gunboats, "fifi" and "Mimi." Due to a bizarre meteorological phenomenon, the images of the opposing vessels were projected into the sky at 10 times normal size, 1,000 feet in the air, causing the initial stages of the battle to be an aerial duel! Eventually, almost shaken to bits by their own gunfire, the Brits scored a lucky hit, and Odebrecht was marched away with his crew as prisoners of war. The 3 month duel on Lake Tanganyika is credited with being the inspiration for the story that became the Bogart/Hepburn movie "The African Queen."

Odebrecht escaped from Belgian captivity in 1919 and made his way to Switzerland--those bare details hiding adventure and drama we can only guess at.

He served in the Imperial German NAVY from 1.4.1909 to 29.1.1920 (Kapita"nleutnant zur See), then joined the ARMY as a Provisional Reichsheer company commander (Hauptmann), before transferring to the POLICE for service 23.8.1920-31.7.1935 (Polizei-Major), ending up--surely a personal record!--in the AIR FORCE 1.8.1935-1.4.1946.

Promoted Generalleutnant 1.6.1941, he was Commander of the 6th Flak Division 1.9.1941-15.11.1942, filling in "I,V." (In Vertretung--in deputation) as acting CO of Luftgau Belgium-North France on at least this award document's date of issue (no such permanent post listed in his service records). His final grade was General der Flakartillerie 1 December 1942 #3. He was awarded the German Cross in Gold 20 October 1942 and the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 5 September 1944... as well as the so-called "Elephant Order" for his daring WWI colonial escapades.

Comment

You da Man Rick!
          Richard

Comment

For this period (March/April 1943), Feldpost # 13983 was for Rgts.Stab Flak-Rgt. F.A.S. Westfr., dann Feld-Flak-Art.Schule (West) 31.
            I have checked the other possibilities (6 & 3) but only # 13983 match with your guy.
            Friendly
            François
            Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

Francois and Rick, thanks very much to both of you for your wonderful information. Always a pleasure to get such good background information on a document group.
              Richard

Comment

Date of Odebrecht document?

The image of the Luftwaffe Flak Abzeichen award document signed by Job "Odebrecht" won't appear on the computer I'm using - could you tell me the date it was signed?

I ask because my grandfather received a KVK II signed by Odebrecht (as CO of Lvkdo 6) dated 20-04-41.

I had no idea Odebrecht had such an interesting background.

Thanks.
                k-pp

Comment

Rick:

What exactly was the elephant order awarded for. Attached is a foto of a KM man wearing the award. Are they rare?

And can someone tell me how to include a foto in the text of a message instead of just an attachment!?!?

Many thanks,

Erich Craciun

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X