Help needed with Panzer document grouping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed with Panzer document grouping

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this document grouping as i know little about documents.
    Wanted a document grouping to copy & display with my medals, then saw these. Sold as 10th Panzer division. My great uncle used to teach me english & maths when i was young & he fought in North Africa & so did 10th Panzer so now i want to start some research as well.
    What i think i know!
    1) Assistant, then head Doctor for regiment 86 of 10th Panzer division.
    2) Awards are Panzer assault badge in bronze, EK II, EK I and Black wound badge.
    Here is what i don't know, sorry if this is obvious, but we all have to start somewhere.
    1) The meaning of Stab I./Schutzen
    2) Can anyone recognise the signatures.

Strangely, one of the dates on the Black wound Badge document is my birthday!
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    All the best, Ant.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hello Mr. Whiplash!

Signatures...

EK II and I - Generalleutnant Ferdinand Schaal RK (Ritterkreuz)
          Pz.Assault - Generalmajor Wolfgang Fischer EL (Eichenlaub)

He was a Oberarzt (Lieutenant) Doctor on the Staff of First Battalion, Rifle Regiment 86. It was part of 10 Panzer Division.

The Division did served in Africa but not until December 1942.....there is no indication there that he went with the unit to Africa.

The dates of his awards would put him in France and the opening stages of the Russian campaign. He was wounded 31.8.1941 and no doubt off to a replacement unit for recovery..whether or not he returned to this unit is obviously not known.

/Ian
          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Ian, thankyou so much, once again you come up trumps, i just on google as you were replying. Generalleutnant Ferdinand Schaal seems to be a fascinating character.
            Your help has been invaluable as it will make my research so much easier. Once again i'm in your debt, quite a knowledge you've gained over the years, i can only hope to know half of what you know!
            Would be amazing if i could find anything to suggest that he was involved in anything that also involved my great uncle (the shortest man to ever serve in the British army!)
            Fancy getting wounded on my birthday. That is strange.
            Anyone know who signed the Wound Badge document?

Comment

You are welcome.......................

Regarding the signature, it looks like Oberstleutnant Finke (?)......not able to check my references at the moment but I have a 10 Pz.Div. reference upstairs......

/Ian
              Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
                You are welcome.......................

Regarding the signature, it looks like Oberstleutnant Finke (?)......not able to check my references at the moment but I have a 10 Pz.Div. reference upstairs......

/Ian
                That seems to fit the signature, could very well read Finke.
                Could you recommend any books to buy with regard to 10th Panzer, could obviously do with a decent reference for 10th Panzer.

Comment

This was my doc grouping, google Dr Leo Degenhardt and you will find some interesting post war info on him
                  Iam Uncle Sam
                  That’s who Iam
                  Been hiding out
                  In a rock and roll band

Comment

Thanks Dion, a quality grouping from a quality seller
                    Going to have hours of fun with this one, just found out he would have won his EK II @ the battle for Calais, the day before Calais fell. Have done a quick Google on him before i bought them, i will be asking my wife's very good friend & her Brother in Berlin to help with some research on the good Dr Leo.

Comment

That's a cracking little grouping to a frontline doctor
                      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

here is a good link with many common TR terms

Glossary of German Military & Political Terms

you may find useful.

Comment

Simon, sure is a nice group, decided to get something good & interesting for the first document grouping. Lots to research.

Thanks byterock for that link, just the kind of thing i've been looking for, will stop me looking useless

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X