No announcement yet.

Volkssturm photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But in the East they fought very hard indeed. Read Beevor's new book on the fall of Berlin for detailed examples. The Hitler Jugend probably accounted for 100,000 Soviet casualties in Berlin in 10 days alone.
    A significant number of Volksturm received EKs for combat bravery.
    A chap I went to college with had a father who was a USAF NCO who retired my senior year. I got to talking to him about growing up in Berlin during the war and turns out he was a 15 year old Volksturm Hitler Youth in 1945 who got the EK2 on April 30, 1945-for destroying a Soviet tank with a hand gernade: "I jumped on the top of the tank and banged on the lid with the gernade. When the russian opened it up, I dropped it in and shot him: boom" he said.
    Earlier, Master Sergeant Geisler had received the KVK for serving on a flak gun ("and eating turnip soup for 450 days straight").
    Interesting stuff.

Comment

Here are two accounts of Volkssturm units published in Kriegsberichter a few years ago:

A few positive words for the Volkssturm come from Herr Nagel, 14./Pz. Gren. Rgt. 35, “At the beginning of 1945 we were stationed in Döberitz….We were given orders to report to the commander of Berlin. He gave us a choice of assignments. A Volkssturmbataillon in Berlin-Spandau was especially in need. We arrived tired and frozen in Spandau. The local commander was an old Major from the First World War. He was a confident man that tried to do the best for his Volkssturmmänner in spite of the lack of equipment. The four of us reported to the Major. The description of the situation depressed us. The only men available had no equipment, no experience and there were no heavy weapons available.
      After a few days with the Volkssturmmänner, I was given a new assignment - Panzerabwehrberater (tank defense adviser) to the Volkssturm in Staaken. For this new assignment I was to choose two Unteroffiziere as assistants. I asked for volunteers. Of course, no one volunteered. I told them that if no one volunteered I would have to select two. This must have left an impression since one men came forward and then his friend. I tried to promise the two that I would try to keep them together for as long as possible. It was no guarantee, but I would try. After a deep breath, both of them remained.
      The Kampfgruppe was stationed in Staaken. The Volkssturmmänner were all old - literally the last sacrifice. But soon we got to know and even love these men. They gave us their complete trust. We soon saw the great fighting spirit and will of these men to protect their country and women against the red flood. Voluntarily these men stayed up late after the end of the day and learned how to break down and use their weapons…After much begging we received Panzerfäuste to practice with. To become familiar with the weapon, we wanted to fire at least one practice shot. A steel plate on a wooden frame represented the enemy tank. From the many volunteers one man was chosen. As he lay in his fox hole (Deckungsloch), I stood over him and explained the use of the weapon. Then totally unexpected - a hot blast and fire! The projectile flew out of the tube! My thighs were burnt, but the flame actually shot between my legs. The shot was a direct hit and showed that even an old man can have a good eye! Everyone was excited and I was later told that the men celebrated the direct hit with a party.
      Unexpectedly I was transferred to the Ersatztruppenteil (replacement unit) of my old division. All the men shook my hand. The two Unteroffiziere stood in front of me - they were almost crying. The told me that they never trained such excited and willing men as these Volkssturmmänner. They even said that these past few days were the most pleasant of their entire careers.”

From the journal of Zugführer des Volkssturms Johann Schrodt, “During the late evening all the houses in Ockfen burned…Animals were still in their stalls and burned slowly to death. At night - no rest, just artillery, round after round fell on all sides. Some of the men reported sick and were sent back through the heavy artillery fire to the rear lines.
      We have only telephone contact to the company. Runners don’t get through any more…Around 14:00 the fire increased. We can no longer stay outside and are forced into the entrance of the bunker until we started to take fire from the rear. Suddenly at 15:00 the Americans attacked from behind and from the right. We took a direct hit in the firing port…Peter Rommelfanger was seriously wounded…We abandoned the bunker with our wounded Kamerad. We were placed up against the wall…and searched for weapons…”

Comment

Excellent thread guys, I have always found the Volkssturm an interesting and often sad aspect of the closing months of the war. Does anyone else have some more pictures to share?

Comment

Erich, thank you for sharing the article here.

Dez, I too would like to see more, especially private photos.

A different topic: anyone can show the better wartime image, or a real thing of a Feldherrnhalle helmet decal shown on the photo 4?
          Attached Files

Comment

the Volkssturm armband in photo 5 looks very much "painted on" (heavy retouch), by the way...

Comment

Re the Volkssturm, I think you have to appreciate the bitterness and the Voelkerhass of the Red Army when they finally reached the borders of the Reich. It was all about revenge. Type "Ilya Ehrenburg Kill the German", into your search engine and see what comes up. I think in the East the Volkssturm fought because they knew that the result would be the same as if they didn't. They would get annihilated either way. Regards Chris B.

Comment

Hello Akira,

is this what you mean?

Erich
                Attached Files

Comment

Interesting photos you have Akira.

Comment

Private groupshot of Volkssturmmänner.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is a little grouping I'm contributing to your thread

July10 - Volksturm photo - 1
                      Attached Files

Comment

July10 - Volksturmfuhrer photo - 2
                        Attached Files

Comment

July10 - Volksturm Training Manual - Grafenwoehr with Merkblatt 1 thru 8
                          Attached Files

Comment

July10 - Volksturm tactical training plan for the Grafenwoehr surrounding area
                            Attached Files

Comment

July10 - Panzerfaust Instruction sheet that was attached to one of the Volksturm merkblatts
                              Attached Files

Comment

July10 - Volksturm Soldbuch
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X