Aerial photos over Germany.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aerial photos over Germany.

These photos are from a friend of mine. Thought that you all might like to see them.
    These photos are from Seafire. Thanks for letting us see them.

Sort of on the subject of post WW2 Germany...

As a kid, my dad was stationed in England working with the first unit in Europe to get the RF4C Phantoms...

They did some testing of the infrared film, that was later used in Vietnam to find underground VC tunnels and caches...

On one flight in the Southern end of Bavaria, the infrared film picked up a batch of Tiger Tanks that had been put in a Cave and sealed up...

They had been brand new tanks in 1945 and had never been field used, there was also tons of weapons cached in the cave.. it was near the Bad Tolz army base...

The other interesting thing the film testing turned up was over Baden Wurtenburg, in the Black Forest, they came across a grove of Maple trees...The conifers had grown higher and had pretty much over shadowed the Maple grove....

However in the fall, when the leaves turned golden on the maples, when this picture was taken... the infrared picked up the image the maple grove made in the air...

Golden Maples surrounded by dark conifers...
    were planted in the form of a Swastika with the year 1933 below it...this was 1965..

It was handed over to the German government which promptly went out and cut down the maples..

I have a picture of it around here somewhere, that was an official USAF photo of it..
    I'll try to find it and possibly figure out how to post it...

When I lived in England in 1963 to 1966, they were finding bombs left over from the Battle of Britain still all over England...

We lived in the country side and there were also a lot of pill boxes around that had been erected to combat the anticipated invasion...

As kids we use to play army in them all the
    time....

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
X