X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner Questions!

I have a few probably silly award Doc questions but here goes,
    1/Can the unit stamp be in red ink?
    2/Is the surname of the Doc's recipient ALWAYS double s p a c e d ?
    3/Was the Russian Front medal able to be awarded buy doctors?
    4/Was the Russian Front medal faily unevenly awarded to the troops?(I have an award groop to an unteroffizier in Inf rgt 60(mot) and he was awarded the EK2,black wound badge and IAB in bronze, in 41 and 42 and the Russian front medal was not awarded untill Feb 1944,this seems a little strange to me as that unit seemed to see alot of fighting!)
    5/Wound badge signatures,if it is signed buy a unit Commander instead of a doctor would that indicate a very minor wound or not?eg not hospitalized?
    Thanks for your perserverance Glenn Kelly

Hi Ned!

Not stupid questions but better to be safe rather than sorry!

1/Can the unit stamp be in red ink? Yes, not commonly red but I have seen examples.
    2/Is the surname of the Doc's recipient ALWAYS double s p a c e d ? No, more commonly the name is not spaced, but again it can be type in this manner to emphasize the surname....Ned K E L L Y
    3/Was the Russian Front medal able to be awarded buy doctors? Yes, if the person was in hospital for a lengthy period
    4/Was the Russian Front medal faily unevenly awarded to the troops?(I have an award groop to an unteroffizier in Inf rgt 60(mot) and he was awarded the EK2,black wound badge and IAB in bronze, in 41 and 42 and the Russian front medal was not awarded untill Feb 1944,this seems a little strange to me as that unit seemed to see alot of fighting!) Normally the Ostmedaille was awarded much later than the date stated...commonly you will see an award 17.8.1942 for example but the rank was the one he had in 1943 or 44. I also have examples awarded in 1944, even examples from 2 units when he had been transferred!
    5/Wound badge signatures,if it is signed buy a unit Commander instead of a doctor would that indicate a very minor wound or not?eg not hospitalized? This probably was awarded for a light wound where he was treated in the Feldlazarett or by Kompanie Sanitäter. On admission to hospital they had the authority to hand out wound badges and even EK II....I am not sure about EK I however!

Hope this helps a bit!

/Ian
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thank you sir!
      That info helps me out alot,
      untill next time, Glenn Kelly.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X