Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer photos from Russia

Hello,

can anyone tell me what unit these photos are from?I found a dealer today who had a about 60 photos,all seemed to be from the same set(all are numbered at the bottom corner,the numbers went up into the 100"s so I know the set of photos was missing a bunch of pictures)I took all the photos of german vehicles and destroyed soviet tanks,16 photos in total-Can anyone(Akira?)tell me about the numbers in the bottom corner?negatives numbered?wartime reprints?postwar reprints?

Yancy
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

russian vehicles
          Attached Files

Comment

last one for now

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Yancy, these are from Panzergruppe 2, 1941.

Is the white sign on the rear mudguard of the tank in photo 15 a unit marking? Unclear to me.

Nice Tauchpanzer on photo 34! Usually I expect this from 18th Panzer, but closer looking may be needed to confirm.

The rune on photo 35 is known to me but I have not tried to identify it yet. Possible candidates: Flak-Abt. 71, 91, 94. Anyone can say if I./12, I./22, I./11, II./21 could have these self propelled Flaks?

Regarding the numbers: these were often burnt onto photos for distribution to soldiers, and I believe this is wartime one. Soldiers ordered photos by number and they could check whether they got correct ones easily. These numbers were also pencilled on the back. I feel (just feel, and not always!) that these burnt numbers imply greater distibution, so I won't pay too much.

Comment

If these photos were taken during the initial stage of Unternehmen Barbarossa, and if they are from 18.Panzer-Division, the Flak Abteilung in question is most likely to be I./Flak-Regiment 12, commanded by Hptm. Laube (DKiG).

Comment

Hi Akira,

Were the numbers literally burnt onto the negatives? I always assumed they were inked on. I have/had also many sets of photos like this. It is hard to tell regarding distribution. I guess the final test would be how often you run across the same images. I, for one, have very rarely encountered duplicate numbered photos. How about you? I would assume you may as this is your main area of collecting.

While we are on the subject, I have, on more than one occassion, found on the reverse of my photos signatures of different persons. At first I assumed that they were the personnel pictured in the photo. However, many times this just did not match the content of the image. It also did not explain why the names were clearly signed by different people. I have come to the (maybe obvious to some) conclusion that these signatures represented a guy's buddies who, after looking through his stack of photos or leafing through his album, signed their names on the back of the photographs they wanted copies of. Have you come to similar conclusions?

Regards,

Rick.

P.S. Nice images Yancey.

Comment

Rick's right about inking, and just I did not know how to say it in English Regarding the mass-productiveness of these numbered photos, I have to say I do not have good evidence yet (I have to dig up my photos...); Actually, unnumbered photos are by far more common and as you know same picture appears from various routes.

And yes, we see sometimes names of soldiers who wanted a copy! My Polizei-Regiment Bozen photos are with a lot of such names, some even with Feldpostnummer!

Comment

Inked negatives

Hello,

thanks guys for the added information regarding the inked negatives,something to look for when im digging through dealers boxes of junk at shows(thats were i found these,they were the only photos in a box of mostly civilian papers-leters,newspaprs,
                      alot of envolopes with stamps-nothing very exciting, here are a few of my favorite pictures of destoyed/captured russian armor from that same set of photos.

Yancy
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

#3,my personal favorite from the set,looks like a T-34 captured intact-look at how big the ID flag is,I believe its a NSDAP wall banner-it goes from one side of the tank over the turret all the way to the other side
                          Attached Files

Comment

As you say the last picture is soooo impressive, I love it! The <i>K&ouml;nig des Polizei- und Beutepanzern</i> Dr. Regenberg (author of incredible Polizei-Panzer book) would surely love it too

Comment

Hello Akira,

Now that you believe these pictures to be from the 3rd Pz division any ideas about what unit the self propelled flak gun is from?

regards yancy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X