Is this Stug photo a fake???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this Stug photo a fake???

I bought this phot recently, but I must admit I'm suspicious. It is just too nice. Not only the stug is outstanding here, but also the quality of the photo is unusual. I'm wondering if it is not a firgery of a well known, published photo...

This is indeed a great pic . Is this from ebay ?What was the price , when i can ask you ?
    A good sign is the rest from the album corners on the photo. Does the pic light under UV-test ?
    It is possible that this pic is a press photo from a " Kriegsberichterstatter " , about the great motiv , but i for self have never seen before .

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "fake." It's definitely original in the sense that it was taken during the war (1941/2 I believe) but if you are asking if it is a period photograph printed pre-May 1945, then I can't be of much help. However...

I have seen this picture before. This exact vehicle (StuG.III ausf.A/B, #33) was subject of a PK (propaganda-kompanie) photo shoot and there are at least two other shots of it that I know of. It's not an "original, one-of" photograph so hopefully you didn't pay too much for it, but still a cool photo none-the-less.

HTH
      Last edited by Rob Johnson; 04-21-2006, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Here's another shot of the exact same vehicle from the same PK film/photo sequence:

Comment

Looks like that barrel did see some action! Have also seen that second photo several times, but not the first image. Nice one anyway.

Cheers
          ******216;yvind

Comment

HI gentlemen. Thank you for your comments. I thought it was a fake "private taken photo" forged from a larger series publication, as it is has it's edges cut in a "private" way... I gave 30$. Is it much??? What do you think?
            Thanks
            Karol

Comment

Don't forget it was very popular for soldiers to buy prints from their unit, unit photographer or from official PK type sources. Then there was a great deal of swapping of prints amongst the men themselves. So it's very common indeed to see a mix in an album of unique private shots, private shots that were printed X amount of times for comrades and friends, PK shots, unit photographer type shots etc. etc.
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Both images are common photos purchased in packs of photos (Kaufbilder) during the day. About $5 in value today

Kind regards,
                Rick

Comment

Propaganda photos/ postcards...no more than 5 dollars, if in good condition!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X