photo of a training exercize??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

photo of a training exercize??

Hello all just got this photo in the mail today of what looks like a sd.kfz. 223. the question I have is this. Is this a training exercize on how to remove a roadblock under cover of smoke? At first glance it appears taken during combat but there is an officer observing on the high ground and if it was a combat situation I wouldn't think he would be standing there so non-chalantly. Mike
    Attached Files

Tim,

Either that vehicle has the worst set of piston rings in history or it is as you say, a training exercise. The officer is too exposed, there is nothing else going on anywhere around them, the smoke is very localized, nobody appears to be shooting a weapon or standing watch. Sure looks like a training exercise. The only odd note is why only one vehicle involved.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by DocumentsGuy
      Tim,

Either that vehicle has the worst set of piston rings in history or it is as you say, a training exercise. The officer is too exposed, there is nothing else going on anywhere around them, the smoke is very localized, nobody appears to be shooting a weapon or standing watch. Sure looks like a training exercise. The only odd note is why only one vehicle involved.

Cheers,

How about this:

- the vehicle is acting as "enemy"
      - the officer is someting like a "referee" for the exercise

???

Guenter

Comment

vehicle

Hi Mike,

The vehicle is a SdKfz 222, armed with 2cm Flak, which can easily be differentiated from a 221 or 223 (armed with MG) by its much wider turret to house the larger weapon.

Nice pic by the way!

Cheers
        Steve
        Last edited by S Ballantyne; 09-18-2005, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Recce Training Ex

Originally posted by DocumentsGuy
          Tim,

Cheers,
          Hello,

Hopefully I can answer some questions.

The 222 that you see in the pic is a German Recce (recon for americans) Vehicle. A road bolck or any other type of obstacle is not effective unless the enemy has the ability to fire on anyone trying to breech it. So the first elements of the german column to reach the Road block would be the recce. The Lowest element of manuver for Recce is a Patrol which is normally made up of 2 vehicles. Since the Road block would be under enemy observation and fire, only one vehicle would move forward to clear it, leaving the second vehicle in a position of fire. The Second vehicle would be able to engage any enemy that pops its head up to fire on the road block. This is why you only see one vehicle.

Cam

Comment

Thanks to all for the enlightening answers and comments.

Steve, Just when I think I have these armoured cars down. I learn something everyday. thanks!

Comment

Hello

I don't know if anyone has noticed but there appears to be two men in the photo. I have enlarged the man in question. He appears to be bent over, wearing a helmet and maybe carrying a rifle.

Cheers
              Larrister
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X