Lakesidetrader

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please, help me to get info from this photo..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please, help me to get info from this photo..

Hi everyone..
    this is my first post in this forum.....and I need your help.
    I have found this photo in my grandmother house.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...48062281iXJGUf

I have no other info about this man.
    Only that he probably gives the photo to my grandmother in a window of time between 'end of 43 - half '44 (I think!).
    The only informations that I can give to you is the location... my grandmother lived in Italy Lazio in a small village on the Casilina street at half way between Frosinone and Cassino.
    Does anyone can give me info about his uniform to help me in this research??
    Thanks in advantage,
    Paola

Hello

This man held a low rank. He held a rank lower than corporal; he could have been a Schütze (= private) or (Ober)Gefreiter (= lance corporal). We cannot tell for sure because the arm patch defining the exact rank is not visible.

I'm sorry, that's all I can help you with. I think there isn't much more you can tell from this one photo.

Comment

Well he definitely was in an Army unit because he
      is wearing an early model German Army tunic.

It's possible to determine which German Army units passed through
      your mothers area by doing more research. You need to find a good history book on the war in Italy. This way you can figure out the name of the unit. Then I would see if the unit has a reunion each year. Then from there you could show the photo to the serving veterans and who knows? Maybe someone will recognize him? Good luck with your search.

best regards,
      Remy Spezzano

Comment

Thanks a lot Tim and Remy for your help.
        I'm trying to understand a little about uniform, unit, battalion, but is not easy but I'm learning ...( I hope... a little bit..!)
        Now...... on the shoulder strap there is a "P" with a gothic style and something maybe a number that is no clearly visible.....
        Now I have read that the letter "P" was for Anti-Tank unit, but the profile of the shoulder strap would be pink... in the photo it seems more dark.. maybe black. The black color was used for engineer and pioner ......So what it means?
        From some internet site I've read that near the village of my grandmother was the :
        Heeres-Pionier-Battaillion (mot) 60 from 20/05/44
        Panzer Division 26 from 00/02/44 to 00/10/44
        Maybe he was in one fo this two unit.....
        Please can you suggest me some links where find more instructions and where to contact veterans of this unit?
        Thanks a lot for your help

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X