Name of an internment camp late 1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name of an internment camp late 1945

I have two letters that were written by Karl Auzinger, an Iron Cross 2nd Class recipient. The letters were written by him to a family member in October/November 1945. I have had the letters translated and in one of them he mentions being in custody in a British internment camp called "Tutsin", but would be leaving for home soon. This is the best translation I have been able to obtain on the word "Tutsin". Does anybody know the names of the internment camps for German soldiers following the war? Was there a camp named "Tutsin" or similar? Where would this camp have been located?
    Karl was a veteran of WW1, as I have his Khyfiserhund medal and his WW2 Iron Cross. He must have been a very heavy smoker, as his ribbons and letters and photos still carry the heavy smell of tobacco!! I think his letters will be safe from silverfish for a very long time!
    Ian

Did he write the letters from the prison camp? If he did there should be censor stamps with the camp number on them and sometimes the name of the camp location i.e., Middlesex or Dorset GB etc. Bill

Originally posted by gebirgaussie
    I have two letters that were written by Karl Auzinger, an Iron Cross 2nd Class recipient. The letters were written by him to a family member in October/November 1945. I have had the letters translated and in one of them he mentions being in custody in a British internment camp called "Tutsin", but would be leaving for home soon. This is the best translation I have been able to obtain on the word "Tutsin". Does anybody know the names of the internment camps for German soldiers following the war? Was there a camp named "Tutsin" or similar? Where would this camp have been located?
    Karl was a veteran of WW1, as I have his Khyfiserhund medal and his WW2 Iron Cross. He must have been a very heavy smoker, as his ribbons and letters and photos still carry the heavy smell of tobacco!! I think his letters will be safe from silverfish for a very long time!
    Ian

Comment

Hi Bill,

Yes, he wrote the letters from the camp, but this was apparently the third camp he was in, and he was due to be released from it soon. He was in custody first at Lauenburg (Büchen), then at the camp "Tustin"?? (which is the mystery camp and the reason for me posting this message), and finally at Uthwerdum (Ostfriesland). The only stamps on the letters are the postmarks but these are for the last camp at which he was stationed, not the second. He has written them on Feldposts, but the "Feldpost" word has been crossed out. I take it he was due to be released and would have been home perhaps by Christmas.

Ian

Here they are.

Feldpost address on letter #1

Feldpost address on letter #2

Translation of letters as follows:

Uthwerdum 18.October.1945

Dear Mrs Köhler!
      You will be surprised that I am still in north-west Germany. You can believe me that I too would prefer to be at home. However, the political chaos in my fatherland apparently necessitates us to constrain the Tommy.
      Now I would like to find out from you whether you have received my earlier letter from Holstein. I was for 2 months interned near Lauenburg (Büchen) and then until 18.19. in concentration area “Tustin”(??). But I must confess that I have been worried that something happened to you, all the more I would appreciate if these lines would receive a reply. I regret I have not yet been able to achieve any contacts with my relations, except for Bruno, who, by the way, is home since 10th June.
      Please let me hear from you!
      Heartfelt regards
      Yours Karl Auzinger

Uthwerdum 11.November.45

Dear Mrs Köhler!
      Heartfelt thanks for your letter, you are still perceptive also in as far as you show that you have not yet lost your sense of humor. Of course I could not derive from your letter whether you have the home address of Edith. If yes, please send it to me.
      I namely intend to travel independently this year. Course set for home. I had during the war so often to put all on one card so that it no longer matters this time. We have nothing any more to lose, only to win.
      However, prior to that I would like to explain my absence to Edith as otherwise what would she think.
      Hope to hear from you soon.
      Heartfelt regards,
      Yours Karl Auzinger
      Last edited by gebirgaussie; 09-09-2005, 05:54 AM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

He may be referring to Dustbin, an interrogation center near Frankfurt.

Regards,
        Ed

Comment

Thank you Ed,
          This is a possibility. I have rechecked the original letter and yes, the word may begin with a D and not a T. In this case he has misspelled it "Dustin".

Originally posted by edwest
          He may be referring to Dustbin, an interrogation center near Frankfurt.

Regards,
          Ed

Comment

Just got a reply from the translator about this item. Karl's comment that
            his earlier letters were from Holstein, a state on the peninsula that ends
            in Denmark, provided the clue. South-east of Kiel is a largish town Eutin, which, I think, is the name of the place I have been looking for.
            Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X