No announcement yet.

A letter to (?) Marie Moravec / Rheinhard Heydrick assination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I look at the letter I see no address, only a general area. When I look at the link to Troppau it looks to me like many small villages in an area in "The Sudetenland". I assume the postal system was like the U.S. in the 1800's to early 20th century. You could mail a letter to someone someplace and they would get it in a month or so. This part of the letter, if I am reading it correctly seems to indicate to me that Tingler, Ignac, Klapetek and Rusinsky are all being held in the same camp. "Greetings to all relatives and friends, Tingler, Ignac, Klapetek and also greetings from Rusinsky. Also greetings to everyone in Gorlic." The greetings to Gorlic is odd. Why only list the town and not the people. Marie did work with the Red Cross and the Tuberculosis League. No doubt she knew many people and got around town. So it would make sense to have her share the greetings. I'm still stuck on the amount of words used to talk about apples. If your sitting in a camp and things are not looking good what do apples have to do with anything. I also noticed Augustin asked for nothing. Do they even grow apples in that area. I have no idea what they farmed or what the planting seasons are. September seems a little late for harvest, but it could be they are actually talking about apples and beets. The other thing I noticed is Augustin states they can't grow food in the camp because of the sand and forest. That tells me they thought about it. Food in the camp may have been an issue. I know people wrote in coded messages and Augustin has trouble understanding a part of a letter talking about apples. Am I reading too much into this or not enough?

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
      Post mark is 5 Sept. 1941.
      Thanks!

Comment

One more thought, everything on the back of that letter looks like it could have written after it was mailed. What is being said. Troppau is a part of the address on the front so why is it again on the back?

Comment

When I look at the back of this letter See M. Moravec and a location twice. I see Moravec one more time. The top of the letter looks like it says defender M. Moravec and further down it looks like a birth date. I have no idea what the right side of the letter or the bottom of the letter are talking about.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by p-59a View Post
            When I look at the letter I see no address, only a general area. When I look at the link to Troppau it looks to me like many small villages in an area in "The Sudetenland". I assume the postal system was like the U.S. in the 1800's to early 20th century. You could mail a letter to someone someplace and they would get it in a month or so. This part of the letter, if I am reading it correctly seems to indicate to me that Tingler, Ignac, Klapetek and Rusinsky are all being held in the same camp. "Greetings to all relatives and friends, Tingler, Ignac, Klapetek and also greetings from Rusinsky. Also greetings to everyone in Gorlic." The greetings to Gorlic is odd. Why only list the town and not the people. Marie did work with the Red Cross and the Tuberculosis League. No doubt she knew many people and got around town. So it would make sense to have her share the greetings. I'm still stuck on the amount of words used to talk about apples. If your sitting in a camp and things are not looking good what do apples have to do with anything. I also noticed Augustin asked for nothing. Do they even grow apples in that area. I have no idea what they farmed or what the planting seasons are. September seems a little late for harvest, but it could be they are actually talking about apples and beets. The other thing I noticed is Augustin states they can't grow food in the camp because of the sand and forest. That tells me they thought about it. Food in the camp may have been an issue. I know people wrote in coded messages and Augustin has trouble understanding a part of a letter talking about apples. Am I reading too much into this or not enough?
            Moravec/cova is a very common name in the Czech Republic. I believe that Augustin Moravec (a man) Who wrote this letter had no relation to the Moravec family of Heydrich fame. He addressed the letter to a village Steborice, which is not far from Opava. Opava - Troppau was the capital of Ostsudetenland. Steborice on the other hand is/was a small village, so the address did not require any additional info. This said on the back of the letter you see the number 25, which is the property number. They do grow apples in the area and September is the correct time for harvest, so nothing strange about that. Also, the comment regarding sand in the forrest, has nothing to do with Augustin trying to grow food at the KZL. It is just an observation that he is unable to watch the harvest (which is a big deal in all farming communities) because the camp is located in the forest on a sandy soil (which is typical for this part of Germany and today’s Poland)...
            Last edited by lohengrin; 09-09-2020, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lohengrin View Post

Moravec/cova is a very common name in the Czech Republic. I believe that Augustin Moravec (a man) Who wrote this letter had no relation to the Moravec family of Heydrich fame. He addressed the letter to a village Stěbořice, which is not far from Opava. Opava - Troppau was the “capital” of Ostsudetenland. Stěbořice on the other hand is/was a small village, so the address did not require any additional info. This said on the back of the letter you see the number 25, which is the property number. They do grow apples in the area and September is the correct time for harvest, so nothing strange about that. Also, the comment regarding sand in the forrest, has nothing to do with Augustin trying to grow food at the KZL. It is just an observation that he is unable to watch the harvest (which is a big deal in all farming communities) because the camp is located in the forest on a sandy soil (which is typical for this part of Germany and today’s Poland)...
              Thank you for your detailed read of the letter. I still do not understand what the back of the letter is about and I have no idea what a property number is, but lets pass on that for now. Of the information I have read I don't think I have come across anything telling me about the town the Moravec's lived in. With Moravec being a common name is this the same Marie Moravec or another person?

Comment

Originally posted by p-59a View Post

Thank you for your detailed read of the letter. I still do not understand what the back of the letter is about and I have no idea what a property number is, but lets pass on that for now. Of the information I have read I don't think I have come across anything telling me about the town the Moravec's lived in. With Moravec being a common name is this the same Marie Moravec or another person?
                Sorry about the messy way my message was saved. It seems this new interface does not like the non English marks above the letters. Anyway, I fixed it in the original message. The number 25 is a property (house) number. This lady is NOT the same Marie Moravcova that was involved in helping the paratroopers. That Marie was from Prague and lived there her whole life. Her husband Alois was from Ratibor near Kolin, but also lived in Prague from an early age until he was sent to Mauthausen (where he was executed). Their sons Vlastimil and Miroslav did not survived the war either. Vlastimil was executed with his father and Miroslav died in the UK, while serving with RAF.
                As I mentioned, Moravec/ova is a very common name. Perhaps you heard of Emanuel Moravec or Frantisek Moravec (the later, a general, was also involved in the assassination of Heydrich).

Comment

Originally posted by lohengrin View Post

Sorry about the messy way my message was saved. It seems this new interface does not like the non English marks above the letters. Anyway, I fixed it in the original message. The number 25 is a property (house) number. This lady is NOT the same Marie Moravcova that was involved in helping the paratroopers. That Marie was from Prague and lived there her whole life. Her husband Alois was from Ratibor near Kolin, but also lived in Prague from an early age until he was sent to Mauthausen (where he was executed). Their sons Vlastimil and Miroslav did not survived the war either. Vlastimil was executed with his father and Miroslav died in the UK, while serving with RAF.
                  As I mentioned, Moravec/ova is a very common name. Perhaps you heard of Emanuel Moravec or Frantisek Moravec (the later, a general, was also involved in the assassination of Heydrich).
                  Thank you Lohengrin for clearing that up. I was coming across that sur name allot and had no idea as to relationships. It was an interesting dig through a part of history that I had only glanced before. Yours David

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X