post you LUFT. FELD DIV portraits !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

post you LUFT. FELD DIV portraits !

a hard core Luft ground combat vet with Ek2, IAB, wound black.

Re. the IAB. I was told this:
    Luftwaffe men serving in ground combat formations certainly wore IAB's. They were ordered to exchange them for Luftwaffe ground combat badges when this badge was introduced in 1942.

From this I would assume this man is early war. No Russian front ribbon so that would make his combat either West Front 1940 or Balkans. What Luftwaffe troops were fighting in a ground role during those campaigns ?
    All the main Luft feld divs came into being at the tail end of 1942 - strange.
    Do you reckon he was a transfer from army to luftwaffe or would he be a member of one of the small amount of Luft. ground combat units in the early part of the war ?
    Thanks for any opinions.

wanted to buy - AFRIKA KORPS / LUFT FELD. DIV. sodlbuch, wehrpass, fotos
    ANYTHING AFRIKA or Luft. Feld Div.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by phil1942; 08-17-2005, 09:12 PM.

As a Gefreiter he may not have been transferred, but in lieu of the LW ground combat badge he may have been awarded the infantry assault badge. I have seen pics of men of the Hermann Göring Division with the general assault badge in wear too.
    WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Most likely he was a member of one of the original Luftwaffen Feld-Regimenter raised in early 1942 and organized under Division Meindl in HG Nord. Since the regiments were raised after the winter was virtually over most would not have qualified for the Eastern Front Medal. Men in these regiments seem to have been awarded the Infanteriesturmabzeichen as opposed to the Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe, especially during the spring and summer of 1942. By the time the field divisions were being organized in the autumn of 1942 they were instead being awarded the Erdkampfabzeichen.

Anyway, it is a nice portrait that you have. I will try to post a few field division portraits tomorrow after my sister-in-law leaves (now that she has driven my family totally insane).
      Jason

Comment

Thanks Jason, that is some excellent knowlege you have there. Much appreciated.

Phil

wanted to buy - AFRIKA KORPS / Luft Feld. Division soldbuch, wehrpass, fotos etc.
        ANYTHING AFRIKA KORPS or Luft. Feld Div.

Comment

Hi

A couple that I have.
          In the field.
          Last edited by eke_karl; 02-16-2007, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Portrait of work.

Correct if wrong but his awards look like an EK2 and a wound badge.
            Last edited by eke_karl; 02-16-2007, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Eke,

Just currious about your two photos as to why you think they are LW Field Division? I don't see anything such as IAB's, GAB's or specific uniform or insignia that would place them in a LW Field Division. Bill

i
              Originally posted by eke_karl
              Portrait of work.

Correct if wrong but his awards look like an EK2 and a wound badge.

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz
                Eke,

Just currious about your two photos as to why you think they are LW Field Division? I don't see anything such as IAB's, GAB's or specific uniform or insignia that would place them in a LW Field Division. Bill

i
                Hi

A new guy mistake.

Assumed all divisions where in the "field".

Cheers

Karl

Comment

Phil: I am happy to be able to help. Unfortunately, I just got a new computer and forgot that I do not have all of the proper software installed to be able to scan and post pics. I will get the necesary programs loaded tomorrow and post a few photos. Sorry for the delay.

Jason

Comment

Look like the collar tabs are green....

Comment

Hey Airborne,

Now how can you tell that from a small Black & White photo? more than likely he is Flak and the NCO on duty has lighter tabs which could be flight, My point is without distinguishing features (Awards, LWFD Camo Jacket, a printed sign or writing on the back) you cannot tell whether they are LW Field Division, Flak, or Flight. etc. - Bill

Originally posted by Para82nd
                      Look like the collar tabs are green....

Comment

Well, let me rephrase.

The collar tabs look Dark, i would guess green, no doubt on the first one those are a darker collor, most likely GREEN

Happy?

Comment

Well I finally got the proper applications set up so here we go. Good studio portraits of field division troops are hard to come by so I do not have too many. That being the case, I will instead start with a couple of portraits taken in the field.

1. A nice close up of the camouflage jacket and an MG15.

2. Another machine gunner, this time in winter camouflage with an MG34. This photo is from a series showing field division troops during an anti-partisan sweep.

3. I believe I have posted this before, but this is an officer from the StuG-Batterie of the 6. Luftwaffen-Felddivision.

Comment

awesome photos guys, thanks for posting.
                            I realise studio portraits of luft. feld men are rare, but that is why I requested to see others.
                            If anyone does have luft. feld STUDIO PORTRAITS such as my one, it would great to see them.
                            Thanks.

Comment

Okay Phil, dug up a few studio portraits. As we both noted studio portraits of field division troops are in general rather scarce, but a couple of the pics I am posting here are pretty much one of a kind. Hope you enjoy them!
                              Jason

1. A "standard" pic to start with, nice image of the LW Bergmütze.

2. Unteroffizieranwärter.

3. Late-war studio full portrait. Note the awards, including Infanteriesturmabzeichen and Nahkampfspange, and mixed WH/WL insignia.

4. Luftwaffe Feldgendarme with WH FG gorget. This man possibly served in Feldgendarmerie Trupp 1114 of the 14. Luftwaffen-Felddivision (Norway), but I have not been able to completely confirm that yet.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X