SS Feldposts-Anyone read Norwegian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Feldposts-Anyone read Norwegian?

I got these in a trade today in Milwaukee.
    I knew my father would appreciate them because he is 50% German/50% Norwegian.
    The letters are to/from an SS Guard of Norwegian decent at the Mauthausen KZ in Linz.
    Any help on his unit or the camp, as well as translating is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

Backs (inspected by SS censors)
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Letter from the bottom Envelope
        Attached Files

Comment

Back of the latter letter
          Attached Files

Comment

Letter from the top feldpost
            Attached Files

Comment

Back of the letter
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow what a great piece of Norwegian history!

I think our Norwegian members interested in the Norwegian SS and NS are going to love seeing this!

I notice he mentions his new fp number being 45086A that's the stab of SS-Freiw. Legion Norwegen.
                Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks for informing me on the Feldpost Number, Simon!
                  I love Norwegian History, and WWII was one of the most interesting, besides the days of my ancestors, the Vikings .
                  Thanks again, Simon, and cannot wait to hear from other members of the forum!

Comment

On the stamp of the top Feldpost, it says Orden Rettferd Fred, What does that mean?

Comment

Interesting letters!

In the first letter you show us, this volunteer tells about his travel to austria, and that he is the only norwegian there.
                      Seems like he's doing "boot camp", as he telles about lessons in handling arms, presenting arms etc and that he's learning how to be a soldier.

Then the surprising part in this letter: He's begging his uncle (the recipient of the letter) to talk to one of the ministers of the NS government (Jørgen Fuglesang) in order to try and get him out of the german SS..
                      He complains that his back is acting up and that he cannot continue.
                      He actually pleads with him to do something...!!

The other letter is from Leningrad area, and he's writing from a field hospital in Riga.
                      He's been injured, but not too bad and he looks forward to getting back to the Legion (Frw. Legion Norwegen).
                      He talks about the freed people giving them flowers, and the brutality of the russians.
                      And also he praises the "front-fighter offices" of Berlin and Norway which supplies them with the NS newspaper "Fritt Folk" and other books and amenities...
                      Last edited by Tor-Helge Y; 06-11-2005, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Any reason for the Mauthausen concentration camp stamp?
                        Looking for any original items related to Danish W-SS volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by dunkirchen1940
                          On the stamp of the top Feldpost, it says Orden Rettferd Fred, What does that mean?
                          Order, Justice, Peace
                          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks for the replys all, and especially your reply, Tor-Helge.
                            It sounds like some interesting stuff within these letters. Too bad my grandma Irma has forgotten Norwegian after all these years (she is 100% Norwegian, and with the maiden last-name of Gulrud, you can tell).
                            Once again, thanks for the replys all!
                            Hope to hear more!

Comment

Any reason for the Mauthausen concentration camp stamp?
                              The soldier was stationed at Sankt Georgen, which is where Mauthausen KZ was located. I am guessing he was stationed at the KZ itself. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X