No announcement yet.

Post your unknown unit and or tactical emblem photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice detective work by the forum members!

OK here is my question. Does anyone have an idea or know the answer to what
    the words written above the large letter "F" stand for?

This photo was taken in Arnhem in Sept. 1944 during "Operation Market Garden".
    I know that the large letter "F" is for the 10th SS Panzer Division "Frundsberg".
    But I'm trying to identify the words written above the "F". It may be for a particular unit and that's the commanders name? or it's a German abbreviation for a military word. Appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Remy Spezzano; 11-12-2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

The slanted rectangle normally stands for 'Panzer' (with the tacatical signs), so probably something like "Panzerdivision Frunsberg" in one symbol.

Though as the 'F' often stands for Funk, it could also be something with the communications unit.

I think that this symbol (and those of your other topic) are signposts so soldiers can find the HQ or other units faster.

Comment

The sign reads , "sibeth". Thats about what i get out of it.

Mike

Comment

Rednas, I think that you should read Remy's post to see why you are incorrect in your reply, he has already told you what the large "F" is.

Remy, Is the mystery word actually written on the shop doorway or is it written on the photogragh ? Look at the last letter, "h" I think, it appears to me to not follow the linme of the wall that the rest of the word is written upon.

Comment

Hello,

A small correction - these "F" signs are marking "Feldfernkabel"

/Christoph

Comment

Originally posted by Alanmccoubrey View Post
              Rednas, I think that you should read Remy's post to see why you are incorrect in your reply, he has already told you what the large "F" is.

Remy, Is the mystery word actually written on the shop doorway or is it written on the photogragh ? Look at the last letter, "h" I think, it appears to me to not follow the linme of the wall that the rest of the word is written upon.

I have enhanced the photo in a way so we can see it more clearly.
              In answer to your question you will see that the sign and letters are painted on the wall.
              I have added arrows to point out the doorway entrance and the wall in which
              the notice board or menu board is mounted to. Because of the way the sun light is hitting
              the front of this building there is a little bit of an optical illusion happening. Which is why I
              put in the red arrows to point out the areas of flatness and the areas of depth.

This marker was definitely painted by someone on the wall. It is not something added later to the photo.
              I'm just trying to determine whether or not this is a unit marker for the Division painted there to guide the
              troops of that unit to the next destination? OR if it's for something entirely different.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Remy, I suppose that asking over on Axis History Forum might reveal if the word fits an officer's name.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Ok, new question, whats the unit shield from?

Is it Beo.-Abt.1 or is it St.G.2 2./K.G.2 ?

Comment

Does anyone know?

Mike

Comment

As the symbol has a white border around it the 61 Inf. Division could be a candidate.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larrister View Post
                        As the symbol has a white border around it the 61 Inf. Division could be a candidate.

Larry
                        Larry,

You probably have more experience that I do, would you say this is correct?

MIke

Comment

Ok, if anyone elese has feedback about the last image, please let me know. Here is another one

Comment

Dont tell me I have stumped the group?

Comment

Nobody knows at all??

Mike

Comment

Here is a photo that I bought. What unit had this Unicorn marking? I can't seem to find any information on it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X