Skorzeny, Rudel, Dornitz Letters etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skorzeny, Rudel, Dornitz Letters etc.

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum.

I'm not a collector of Third Reich Militaria, but 2 years ago I stumbled on a large quantity of items signed by Otto Skorzeny, Hans Rudel and Karl Dornitz.

I found these items at the estate sale of a Wehrmacht veteran who lived in New Jersey. From what I was able to find out, this man emigrated to the US after the war. He founded a German-American fraternal organization and he kept up a correspondence with the above named German Military people.

I acquired the following items from the estate:

Hans Rudel -- 30 signed letters, most typed but some hand written. Some post marked envelopes are present including one posted from Paraguay. Two signed photos and a signed book.

Otto Skorzeny -- 9 typed, signed letters, a couple of envelopes and a signed Christmas card.

Karl Dornitz -- 10 typed, signed letters.

These items date from the late 1960's to the mid-1970's.

I would like to sell these items but I don't know how to proceed. Are these items less valuable because the are post-war? Would this lot bring more money as a single collection or would it be better to sell off the individual pieces? Are there any dealers that specialize in these type of items?

Any information that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

more info about the letters

I am interested in these letters especially in the Skorzeny ones.
    Is it possible to get some scans???
    How much money are we thinking about ,when you sell the whole lot or just the Skorzeny ones.?
    Regards
    Marcel

I'm not a collector of Third Reich Militaria, but 2 years ago I stumbled on a large quantity of items signed by Otto Skorzeny, Hans Rudel and Karl Dornitz.

I found these items at the estate sale of a Wehrmacht veteran who lived in New Jersey. From what I was able to find out, this man emigrated to the US after the war. He founded a German-American fraternal organization and he kept up a correspondence with the above named German Military people.

Hans Rudel -- 30 signed letters, most typed but some hand written. Some post marked envelopes are present including one posted from Paraguay. Two signed photos and a signed book.

Otto Skorzeny -- 9 typed, signed letters, a couple of envelopes and a signed Christmas card.

I would like to sell these items but I don't know how to proceed. Are these items less valuable because the are post-war? Would this lot bring more money as a single collection or would it be better to sell off the individual pieces? Are there any dealers that specialize in these type of items?

Any information that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by cruentus

Any information that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
      Are they addressed to the same man? For a start, it would be a great shame to sell them separately or to break up the collection in any way if they are. You will find that some are more interesting than others for various reasons...content, the signatory, etc.. All three authors are fairly common post-war, especially Dönitz. Generally, post-war letters are not as valuable as war date or pre-war. If you tried to sell them individually, the better ones would go first and you would be left with the less interesting. If you are interested in a true valuation, please send me a private message with your email address.
      Best,
      Max.

Comment

Though completely out of context, I can't help agreeing more...

If you tried to sell them individually, the better ones would go first and you would be left with the less interesting.
        When someone with an excellent photo asks on the forum,
        "All I have is this,"
        "Who are these guys, which unit? Can you tell me something about this?"
        Always I barely stop myself from saying
        "Where's the rest of the photos, YOU should be able to tell from those!""
        Aways they chose only excellent photos from group,
        What a pity, the seller trashed the rest "dull photos" into the dustbin...

Comment

Originally posted by max history
          Are they addressed to the same man? For a start, it would be a great shame to sell them separately or to break up the collection in any way if they are. You will find that some are more interesting than others for various reasons...content, the signatory, etc.. All three authors are fairly common post-war, especially Dönitz. Generally, post-war letters are not as valuable as war date or pre-war. If you tried to sell them individually, the better ones would go first and you would be left with the less interesting. If you are interested in a true valuation, please send me a private message with your email address.
          Best,
          Max.
          Thanks everyone for responding to my post.

Yes, all the letters are addressed to the same man. I'm not an expert on these type of things, but I assumed that these items would be more valuable as a collection instead of individual items.

I'll try and post a few scans later today.

Comment

Here's a scan of a signed Rudel photo card from 1968. It appears that the swastika has been air brushed.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X