Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for Officers name

Hey Guys,

Is there anyone here that can confirm just how many officers in the Wehrmacht had the surname " Wentges" ?
    With help from a few guys I was able to ID a name engraved on the back of an Officers dagger and I would now like to find out just how many Officers had the name Wentges to try tie it down to one man.
    So far I could only find one Officer in the Großdeutschland division with that surname.
    Many thanks in advance to anyone that can maybe help out!!

Regards,
    Dion

No one here can help you, I fear. There is no list of all Wh officers. The data in the BAMA Freiburg is not complete as well, since most of the reserve officers and nearly all KIA officers are missing.
    WAst in Berlin has records of all German soldiers in WWII. But one has no access to these data and "collecting" is no reason for them to research and help you.

Comment

I found a Leutnant Hermann Wentges in the Volksbund list as KIA 7.8.1940 in France.

https://www.volksbund.de/graebersuch...9dd7a770399fe4

There are two other soldiens KIA named "Wentges" in the Volksbund list, one is "Unteroffizier" the rank of the other one is not given.

Gerdan

Comment

You don't indicate which branch of the Wehrmacht but i'm guessing you mean the Heer.

No officers by that name in the January 39 rank lists and no regular officer of the rank of major or above in the May 44 lists, nor any higher decorations so you're looking at a junior or reserve officer which as the others have said is going to impossible to pin down given the information to hand.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks a ton Gentlemen!!! I really appreciate all the responses and I guess my question is answered. I was hoping that there was a chance that it was a very rare surname and I could tie it down to one person, but if there were several soldiers with that surname, then it's impossible to tie to one person. Unfortunately there is no initial engraved on the crossguard!

Many thanks,
          Dion

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X