Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honour Goblet & DKIG Recipient Research Advice Please

Hi all,

I’m really hoping to fill some blanks regarding the service of an EP recipient and any pointers how I would go about it would be very gratefully received.

I have information from later in the war but I would love to know what squadron he was in and where he earned the EP and DKIG in 1942.

Many thanks in advance,

Joe

Here’s what I know at present:

It was found in the early 80s in Wroclaw (Breslau). During the installation of town heating pipes, workmen found a cellar of a house destroyed in 1945. The house stood on the corner of Białowieska and Legnicka streets.

It is engraved to Feldwebel Hans Steinadler 6.7.1942.

In October 1942, the now Oberfeldwebel Steinadler received the German Cross in Gold.

In mid-November 1944 he joined 8./NJG 5 (crew of Hptm Bobsien). On 1 Jan 1945 Bobsien was a pathfinder pilot for Stab/JG 6 and II./JG 6.

On 4 March 1945 / Operation Gisela the crew was missing, probably ditched in the North Sea:

Ju 88 G-6 WNr. 620651 8./NJG 5 C9+CS.

F Hptm Hans-Joachim Bobsien
    Bf Ofw Hans Steinadler
    Bf Uffz Fritz Dessemeier
    Bs Obgefr Franz Purth

(GenQu loss return 19 March 1945 item 40).

Steinadler was the Bordfunker (Radio operator) in a Ju 88G-6, flown by Hauptmann Hans Joachim Bobsien of 8./Nachtjagdgeschwader 5 at the time.

Ofw. Hans Steinadler was born 22.03.1915 in Breslau and Ehrenpokal was found in basement of his family house.

He was the only one who washed ashore.
    Now buried Wittmund, Grave 27.
    Attached Files

The DK lists only record him as having served on the 9 staffel of a KG, but not which one.
    However, i do note a Hans Steinadler listed as a member of KG3, so could be possible it's him.

I remember well the graves of the NJG 5 crew buried at Scampton who lost there lives on the same operation as i was based just up the road from there.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
      The DK lists only record him as having served on the 9 staffel of a KG, but not which one.
      However, i do note a Hans Steinadler listed as a member of KG3, so could be possible it's him.

I remember well the graves of the NJG 5 crew buried at Scampton who lost there lives on the same operation as i was based just up the road from there.
      Thanks Simon, that’s very helpful. Gives me something to look into. I don’t think it’s a very common surname so could well be him.

Before I got this I didn’t know a great deal about Bodenplatte so I’ve ordered the book now.

Thanks again

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X