Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen-SS inscription + strange number?

Hello,

Hopefully this is the right section to ask for some help regarding this inscription and the number "2219661".

At first I thought this might be a FP number, however, after a quick search it seems that this is not the case. I also cannot make out what I assume to be the owner's name above, and other associated writing below.

I have edited the photo to try and make the text at least a little bit more legible.

Any help would of course be very much appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Patrick
    Attached Files

What kind of item is that? vehicle related?
    I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
    Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
    My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Admiraal View Post
      What kind of item is that? vehicle related?
      Hello, it is the inside of a binocular case.

Comment

Could it be the binocular serial number? Most i've seen had 6 numbers, but maybe they reached 7? Maybe someone with knowledge about binoculars can help with this.
        For what kind of binocular is this case?
        Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.

Comment

Thank you Admiraal, that is a very good point and given that it doesn't appear to be a FPN, that is a very good possibility!

The case will fit both 7x50 and 10x50 binoculars - so I will have to check serial number lists to see if '2219661' is a match for any maker.

Also, I've been told that the top part of the inscription is short for "SS Unterscharführer", followed by the owner's surname.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Patty D View Post
            Thank you Admiraal, that is a very good point and given that it doesn't appear to be a FPN, that is a very good possibility!

The case will fit both 7x50 and 10x50 binoculars - so I will have to check serial number lists to see if '2219661' is a match for any maker.

Also, I've been told that the top part of the inscription is short for "SS Unterscharführer", followed by the owner's surname.

Thanks again!
            Yes, top part is short for the rank SS Unterscharführer.

Comment

You were indeed correct Admiraal

The serial number matches with a Zeiss (blc) 10x50 binocular which would have been produced around late 1943 to early 1944.

Comment

Nice that you found out

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X