Carl Ludwig "Luz" Long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carl Ludwig "Luz" Long

Just curious as to if anyone has any more info on “Luz” Long. He was the German track star at the ‘36 Olympics and was killed in Italy in 1943. Anyone have anyting related to him? Or seen anyting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hello !

I didn't know, that he fell in WW II, only the story about his relation to Jesse Owens.

Here is the German version of the Wikipedia article, which has more details on his military career
      than the English one :
      https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luz_Long#Tod

There is also a book, written by his son Kai-Heinrich, which seems to be quite interesting :
      Luz Long - eine Sportlerkarriere im Dritten Reich

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Very interesting Archi, wonder what unit he was with....

Comment

Translated the German wiki:

In April 1943 Long received a training in flak artillery in Pomerania. The following month he was in a flak unit in the war effort in southern Italy. Long clearly came to doubt the purpose of his assignment. Jesse Owens later quotes from a letter he received from Long in wartime: "Dear Friend Jesse! ... I'm just afraid of dying for the wrong thing. I hope my wife and son will survive. I ask you as my only friend outside of Germany that you will visit them someday to tell them why I had to do this and how nice the time we had together was. Luz ". When taking Sicily under the Allied Operation Husky Long, who had the rank of corporal, during the fighting for the airfield of Santo Pietro at Biscari on July 10, 1943 a shot in the thigh and had to be left behind in the German retreat. According to the Owens biographer Jeremy Schaap, he died as a result of his injuries on July 14, 1943 in British captivity. [2] [3] His comrade Robert Stadler, born in 1924, describes in an ARD broadcast on August 9, 2015, that he and other Wehrmacht soldiers fleeing from the Americans had found the wounded Long bleeding heavily on the thigh and unable to adequately set the wound, so that he - after Stadler's continued flight - most likely bleeding to death. [4] [5] [6] He was first buried by the Americans in Gela and reburied 1961 [7] in the German war cemetery Motta Sant'Anastasia in Sicily.

Very sad...

Comment

in Motta Sant'Anastasia German War Cemetery...

https://newsicilia.it/cultura/luz-lo...sicilia/314694
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X