SS RSHA, SonderKommando Dora 1945?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS RSHA, SonderKommando Dora 1945?

I found this notice some years ago amongst personnel files kept in the Norwegian National archive and thought it interesting enough to photograph.

Does anyone know anything about this Sonderkommando Dora under the RSHA's amt-mil?
    Attached Files
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

There was a Kommandounternehmen Dora, but in 1942/1943 mapmaking in Afrika - but not 1945.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unternehmen_Dora

Gerdan

Comment

Addition:

https://www.bundesarchiv.de/imperia/...u_el_kebir.pdf

Gerdan

Comment

I found also this among the National Archives index:

NND 871065 XE007527 Sonderkommando Dora - Oct 45-Dec 46 Vol 1

Gerdan

Comment

Hello Simon and Gerdan !

It seems that the name is coming from that Afrika expedition mentioned by Gerdan and it should
          also be related to Otto Schulze-Kampfhenkel.

But it also seems that the "Sonderkommando Dora" was not dissolved, but continued to exist
          under Forschungsstaffel z.b.V., first under the Abwehr and later under SS-RSHA.
          The best link I found so far was this :
          http://www.wikiwand.com/de/Forschungsstaffel_z.b.V.
          I hope this gives at least some hints for further research.

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Thanks, that's interesting, it seems the sonderkommando included some heavyweight scientists, i would guess this leutnant was himself a scientist in civilian life which led to his 4 month posting to the unit.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

nothing accociatied with the topic,
              just watch a new film Der Hauptmann,
              from a forgery Sonderkommando 'H'.
              Attached Files

Comment

# 1

Oberst Remold's signature.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Remold

Gerdan

Comment

Thanks for reminding me of that film, it's one i'd like to see.

Gerdan
                  Thanks, i am quite familiar with Josef Remold, i have examples of his signature in my collection and i found his personnel file with several years of 'beurteilung' in the same files as the note above came from. A real treasure trove of information.

Comment

Hello !

I picked up a book, that explains a lot of the HQs mentioned above, the tasks
                    of Forschungsstaffel z.b.V., and the role of Lt./Oberlt. Otto Schulz-Kampfhenkel:
                    "Vom Amazonas an die Ostfront"

What might be relevant to this thread :
                    Sonderkommando Dora was formed in early 1942 and subordinated to Amt Abwehr/OKW.
                    One major task was a survey and cartography of the terrain in Southern Lybia and
                    to reconnoitre possible pathes along which the Long Range Desert Group
                    (or larger amounts of troops) could possibly operate.

One element of Sd.Kdo. Dora was "Gruppe Forschung" (wissenschaftliche-technische Gruppe).
                    When the Sonderkommando Dora was withdrawn from Africa in 1942/43, it was not dissolved.
                    Instead, the scientific group was expanded and evolved into "Forschungsstaffel z.b.V.".
                    In 1943-44, this unit fielded various kinds of expeditions (in East-, North- and South-Europe),
                    mainly with tasks to provide improved informations on cartography, geology (exploitation
                    of mineral/oil) to support the German war effort.

One important point is, that the group used very modern/sophisticated methods. This raised
                    the interest of the Allied side, for which reason many members of the group were interrogated by
                    the OSS (and perhaps other groups). This might explain the NARA material found by Gerdan.

What is the possible connection of Lt. Schnaiter to this unit ?
                    Quite possible, that he was a scientist himself. Perhaps, he might have worked together
                    with the Lappland expedition in second half 1944 and had some additional tasks, related to this.
                    Perhaps even both !

I'll add two scans from the book mentioned above :
                    The first informs on the main tasks of the Lappland expedition and also gives an example of some of
                    the other tasks of other expeditions.
                    The second scan might be useful for further details on the Lappland expedition.

Thanks for pointing to this very unknown chapter of history !

Best regards,

Archi
                    Attached Files

Comment

I understand that RSHA VI G , a section of the SD-Ausland, the latter including the Militarisches Amt, dealt with cartography thru the so-called Weltkartenabteilung. Forschungsstaffel z. b. V. was based in Neudorf am Gröditzberg . For further info, please read P.Svatek’s „WIEN ALS TOR NACH DEM SÜDOSTEN“ – DER BEITRAG WIENER GEISTESWISSENSCHAFTLER ZUR ERFORSCHUNG SÜDOSTEUROPAS WÄHREND DES NATIONAL SOZIALISMUS
                      As an officer of the Nebelwerfer branch , 2nd Lt Schnaiter may have been simply very proficient in cartography.

Comment

That's great information guys, a couple of observations, Rundhaug in North Norway, a place i know well, was a main headquarters site, mostly korps level but at that time for a short while also for AOK 20 after it had pulled out of Finland.

The second thing i notice is mention of Major Tilley. That's a name i come across often in the archives, he was in Norway after the surrender.

Comment

Hello !

Interesting additional info by Marco Pennisi !
                          It also points to the fact, that Forschungsstaffel z.b.V. was not only involved in topographic cartography,
                          but also in matters of "Volkstum".

I found the biography of Lt. Wolfgang Pillewitzer, who led the Lappland expedition. I thought I share some
                          excerpts, because they explain, what the that expedition did in detail, and they are probably typical for
                          some of the tasks of these expeditions in general.

When the German High command became aware in mid 1944, that Finnland would quit the war, they needed to prepare
                          retreat positions. Some of these were near Vuotso and Laeteseno. For both regions no detailed maps existed.
                          To provide those detailed maps, became the task of the "Lappland Unternehmen".

The area around Vuotso was a very swampy terrain with a size of about 4000 km^2, while the Laetesono area was
                          a really unknown terrain of 2000 km^2 size, (also designated as "Enontekiözipfel"), "in the middle of nowhere",
                          where only a a handful of villages existed.

According to the report by Pillewitzer, they finished the Vuotso map in early October 1944, and the other map
                          could only be finished later at Rundhaug in November.

On the Way to Rundhaug, they met the Geb.A.O.K. 20 Kartenstelle at Lake Inari, which had great difficulties to
                          destroy their large sets of Finnland maps.
                          => This is a problem, occuring during retreats, I was totally unaware of, so I'll attach that part of the report as well,
                          in the second scan.

In the end, Pillewitzer mentions, that the work on these maps was not completely finished and that he worked on them
                          for several more years.
                          => That could also be an explanation for the task of Lt. Schnaiter.

Best regards,

Archi
                          Attached Files

Comment

That's great information. Actually the Germans started preparations for pulling out of Finland already in september 43. The mapping of those two areas makes absolute sense as they were to be defensive lines. The one to the North West, closer to Norway and Sweden was built up as the Sturmbock Stellung and was occupied by the 7 Geb.Div. and Gebirgsjäger Brigade 139 for about 2 months until mid january 45 when the Lyngen Stellung was ready to take over.

Comment

Hello !

Simon, thanks for the interesting additional information on the Sturmbock-Stellung. That also answers
                              the question by Dr. Pillewitzer, who wondered, whether their maps would have been of practical relevance.

I found a link to a very thorough and well made website, covering many details of Forschungsstaffel z.b.V.
                              (and German military air survey in general) :
                              http://www.vexilli.net/HisMGLW/index...rg_FoStff.html

I post it for three reasons :
                              1) at the top, it lists the locations of the HQ and explains that this moved in Feb. 45 from Schlesien
                              to Tauberbischofsheim and later to Unterauerbach (so that's probably where Lt. Schnaiter went also).

2) At the bottom, it has a few more details on the Lappland Unternehmen, but especially it points
                              to another task, not mentioned before : Guidance to camouflage !
                              This also makes sense. If one is good in analysing aerial photography, it should also be possible to explain,
                              how to make aerial detections difficult.

3) Finally, the link lists several officers (and NCOs) and their tasks within Forschungsstaffel z.b.V.
                              So if some colleague finds a reference to this unusual unit, the link could provide a good starting point
                              for further research .

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X