Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 61st Infantry Division , D. Wehrmacht

Hello-

I was going through a topical search and saw there was no pop-up for the 61st
    Infantry Division. I have done some work on the subject, and I hope it is OK and/or
    approved to post this. Most of my account is of my translation/interpretation from the site Lexikon Der Wehrmacht.de and miscellaneous info from my family history and other sources such as WAsT. I am grateful for the information I could add from
    my work relating to the Wolchow/Volkhov battles also. This is compiled from original acknowledged sources. Mistakes are mine. If you have info to add or corrections,please PM me.

The 61st Infantry Division, 1939--1945

-James Hilgemann, Trans.

The 61st Infantry Division was established on August 8, 1939 in the Insterburg
    (Prussia) area Wehrkreis from the previous incarnation as a WWI training division
    that had as its commanding officer an artillery commander. On August 26, 1939,
    the division achieved what was called 2nd Wave effectiveness for the Wehrkreis,
    and was mobilized.

On September 1, 1939, the Division overran the area of Soldau and the Polish
    border, then marched on Mlawa, Ciechanow and Pultusk around Wyszkow. They
    crossed the Bug River, then took part in the storming of Praga-Warsaw. After a
    short time spent as occupation troops in Poland, the Division was put into the
    fighting area/Kampfraum between Aachen and Koeln. With the opening of the
    Western Campaign/Feldzug, they marched from their area of Aachen in the
    direction of Maastricht. Elements of the Division took part in the overrunning
    and capture of the fort/Festung of Eben Emael.

Next the Division undertook the pursuit of the retreating Belgian army from above
    Namur to the Yper Canal. It fought its way through Menin and Messines toward Dunkirk. During the Second Wave attack phase of the "Battle of France",
    the Division marched across the Seine and Argentan, and to Bretagne. Here the
    Division remained following the French capitulation. From January 1941 onward,
    they were again occupation troops. On November 8, 1940, a third of the Division
    was handed over to the 336th Infantry Division. After that, the 61st Infantry
    Division was sent back to its home barracks.

On July 22, 1941, the Division took part in Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of
    Russia.

They assaulted from an area southeast of Memel, through Mittau, Riga
    and Wolkmar in the direction of Reval, and then took part in the fierce fighting
    around Reval. In September and October 1941, the Division was in on the
    "clearing" of the Baltic Islands. They were transported via the German Navy
    during this action.

After a short rest-and -refit, in September and October 1941, 61st ID took part in the forced march and assault on Tichwin.

In January of 1942, the Division was diverted to the battle area/Kampfraum of
    Wolchow/Volkhov. For all of 1942, the 61st held the Wolchow Front . The 61st bore the brunt when the Soviet Second Striking Army, inclusive of the famous Gen.
    Vlasov and his Cossacks, broke through the German line and into the area that would become known successively as the Erika Clearing/Corridor/KesselPocket. This region was an area of huge swamps, creeks, rivers and forests; the insects were terrible.The 61st held the Wolchow all summer of 1942 and fought in the Wolchow Kessel actions,at Grusine and Mostki, Gluchitza, on the Tigoda Salient ,atTischudo and on the Heights of Ssingawino. They held the Wolchow River front that year with XXXVIIIth Army Corps and fought again on the Ssingawino Heights, in the area of Mgai, the Pogostje Pocket/Kessel and at the Bridgehead at Kirischi.

In September 1943, the 61st was put into the Leningrad front. Known as a "fast
    division", for its Panzer troops, Grenadiers and Reconnaissance units, they were
    dubbed "The 61st Division Fusiliers".

In January 1944, the Russian "Grand Offensive" began. The Division had to go
    back through via Gatschino to Luga and Narva. Here the Division was given a short
    rest-and-refit. Then they were put into the Narwa front at Kureme. On April 2,
    1944, the remains of 9 Field Division (Light) were absorbed into the 61st's ranks.

The Division fought on the Narwa front to June 1944, and at that time was in on
    the fighting in the area/Kampfraum at Duenaburg. Brutal battles followed, southwest of Duenaburg, in the area around Walk and then at the Seegewald strongpoint.

In October of 1944, the 61st was in general retreat to Kurland, as well as in
    defensive battles at Vaihode.

Next, the 61st ID was shipped to Libau and transported to Gotenhafen, Poland.
    There they had rest-and-refit, and re-named the 61st VolksGrenadier Division.

The 61st VolksGrenadier Division

Composition, deployment and actions: The 61st VGD was established in
    Gotenhafen through the re-naming of the 61st ID. Following re-naming it was
    put into the area of Gumbinnen. Rearguard actions followed, at Insterburg,
    Trakhenen, on the Masur River and the Masurian Canal, at Allenstein, Preussich
    Eyelau, Rosenwalde and Mehlsack.

Festung/Fortress Koenigsberg

Finally the Division was virtually wiped out in the Heiligenbeiler Pocket/Kessel.
    On March 31, 1945, the Division was re-formed and placed into the 21st Infantry
    Division, as Grenadier Regiment 24. Even the administrative staff was put into
    the action, and following the fall of the city Fortress/Festung Koenigsberg/Kalinin,
    remnants of the 61st passed into Soviet captivity. Some were held captive
    for 10 years. It is believed the bulk of 61 ID's documents was lost at Koenigsberg.

Divisional Commanders

8-8-1939 General d. Infanterie Siegfried Haenicke
    3-27-1943 Generalmajor Franz Scheidies
    4-7-1942 Generalleutnant Werner Huehner
    2-1-1943 Generalleutnant Guenter Krappe
    4-30-1943 Generalleutnant Gottfried Weber
    5-1-1943 Generalleutnant Guenter Krappe
    12-11-1943 Generalmajor Joachim Albrecht von Blujecher
    2-1-1944 Generalleutnant Guenter Krappe

The Lexikon Site includes: Sources/Literature and a year-by-year
    deployment 39-45.

Translation & Writing Courtesy James Hilgemann/Double NN Trans.
    Provisional Copyright for Trans. by JWH/DoubleNN r..
    Last edited by Simon O.; 09-05-2013, 02:43 AM. Reason: typo

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
X