Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friedrich Dohmeyer, Stuka Pilot w/ 1500 sorties - help with the research

Dear Friends,

I managed to acquire complete set of pilot's log books (3) for the person named:
    Friedrich Dohmeyer - sergeant, Stuka Pilot (I need to re-check the spelling and see if the name is written same in all occassions)

Three log books consists the period from Jan 1939 til May 1945 - 1511 sorties.

He was stationed in Finland Jan 44 - Jan 45.

What is interesting to me is naturally the period in Finland.

I dont know where to start? I believe he might even have German Cross in Gold, but I dont have LW data for recipients. Are there any unit history on Schlachtgeschwader 5? Since this was for sure his unit at least for a short period of time in Finland.

Where I could find his personal data?

With best regards,
    Jani Tiainen
    - Military historian and dealer from Finland.
    - Collecting Finnish awards, German EK1's 1939, KVK1's w/o swords and Tirolian shooting badges.
    I still need EK1's L/14 Screwback and Pinback.

Jani

There is no Dohmeyer listed in either the ehrenpokal lists or the DKiG lists.

He cant have served in Finland until Jan.45 as the last airfields were evacuated in Oct.44. By Nov.44 the only part of Finland still occupied by the Germans was from the Sturmbock stellung by Karesuando up to the Norwegian border, an area that had no airfields.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

If his log books indicate he was operating over finland between nov.44 and jan.45 then it was from Norwegian airfields. Likely, Bardufoss, Elvenes and perhaps Alta and Banak for a few days.

Another thought. If he was a stuka pilot during his time in Finland and you don't know for sure he was in Slachtgeschwader 5 than Nachtschlachtgruppe 8 is also a possibility as it was mostly equipped with Ju-87D until the end of the war.
      Last edited by Simon O.; 03-23-2012, 02:09 AM.
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hello Jani,

Out of the 1511 sorties how many are actually Feindflüge or combat missions? 1511 combat missions he would be at least an Oakleaves winner if not Swords!

Can you post the first page with his name to confirm spelling etc?

Regards,
        Ian
        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

I do not know of any books currently available on Schlachtgeschwader 5.
          This site gives you an outline of where they were stationed. The places should correspond with you Flugbücher.

http://www.ww2.dk/air/attack/stg5.htm
          http://www.ww2.dk/air/attack/sg5.htm

There is a Friedrich Dohmeyer on the German War Graves site but he was killed in 1940 so not the same person. Also, he is not listed in the Vermisstenbildliste.

/Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Flight Instructor - that sounds perfect answer for his main career.

I wonder where I could find out the meaning of certain abbreviations eq. DA+DY or SE+TY, which appear with many flights especially in his early logs.

First picture: The log books, there are three, which the large black is mostly copied into the another smaller one. These two common blue books have all the flights from 1939-1945.

Black hard cover log book: 16.1.1939-3.9.1943. A total of 1173 flights entered
            Soft cover #1 : 19.9.1939-28.5.1943. A total of 1125 flights entered (Most same as in the har cover one)
            Soft cover #2: 22.11.1943 - 3.5.1945. A total of 338 flights entered.

Last operational mission at May 2nd 1945.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jani_tiainen; 03-24-2012, 06:40 AM.
            - Collecting Finnish awards, German EK1's 1939, KVK1's w/o swords and Tirolian shooting badges.

Comment

Names on two of the log books to see If I read them correctly.

I think this is Friedrich Dohmeyer
              Attached Files

Comment

The abbreviations such as DA+DY or SE+TY were the aircraft side numbers.

Comment

Here are some shots from logs, First from 1940

Planes flown such as AR-66 and FW-58. I hope you can read the picture - I will not post anymore than two first since I am not sure about the quality.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is just before coming to Finland. Looks like work as flight instructor?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Next page

Next page:

He flow to Finland via Riga.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Summer 1944 during the Soviet main attack.

It seems that he took part in action as well
                        Attached Files

Comment

Bitte Schön Google!

That is the place where he was for a long period:

Flugzeugführerschule A/B 110
                          Kommandeure:
                          ?
                          Maj Franz Meyer, 27.6.40 - 7.11.40
                          Obstlt Wilhelm Winterfeldt, 8.11.40 - 30.9.41
                          Maj Dr. Emil Tiemann, 1.10.41 - 18.3.42
                          Obstlt Heinrich Küstner, 21.3.42 - 11.4.43
                          Maj Andreas Zahn, 23.4.43 - 16.7.43

Formed 12.39 in Stubendorf as FFS A/B Stubendorf, from various NSFK (A/B) schools.
                          On 16.1.40 redesignated Flugzeugführerschule A/B 110 (FFS A/B 110).
                          On 16.7.43 redesignated Blindflugschule 11.
                          Used the following aircraft: Ar 66, Bь 131, Ca.314, Caudron Simone, Fw 44, Fw 58, Grunau Baby, He 46, Kl 35, W.33 and W.34

Bases:
                          12.39 - 7.43 Stubendorf*
                          * satellite airfields: Gross-Stein, Ohlau, Neudorf, Nieder-Ellguth (segel)

Comment

Definately Dohmeyer.

As Simon mentioned, if not SG 5 then he could have been NSGr 8

http://www.ww2.dk/air/attack/nsgr8.htm

/Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
                              Definately Dohmeyer.

As Simon mentioned, if not SG 5 then he could have been NSGr 8

http://www.ww2.dk/air/attack/nsgr8.htm

/Ian
                              Thanks for all,

After further research I have confirmed he was in NSGr 8

Jani

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X