David Hiorth

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captured German Records About The Dirlewanger Brigade - Looking For Translation Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be very interested in seeing anything you find in the unit's involvement in the "1944 Warsaw Uprising". My relative's Kamfgruppe was under the control of the Dirlewanger Brigade. Maybe he is mentioned in there somewhere. Perhaps even his DKiG paperwork could be mentioned as well.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulR View Post
      I would be very interested in seeing anything you find in the unit's involvement in the "1944 Warsaw Uprising". My relative's Kamfgruppe was under the control of the Dirlewanger Brigade. Maybe he is mentioned in there somewhere. Perhaps even his DKiG paperwork could be mentioned as well.
      Please PM me all your info regarding your relative, and I will gladly take a look for you.

It will take time, but I'm starting with the Dirlewanger documents first, so your in luck.

Comment

Originally posted by PAB_Collector View Post
        Please PM me all your info regarding your relative, and I will gladly take a look for you.

It will take time, but I'm starting with the Dirlewanger documents first, so your in luck.

Thank you so much!! PM sent! I have a bunch of documents from his Personel Record, some of which should help.

I am pretty excited about this.

Regards
        Paul

Comment

"It will take time, but I'm starting with the Dirlewanger documents first, so your in luck."

Please tell us if you turn anything up regarding the famous Dirlwanger dog tags!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
            "It will take time, but I'm starting with the Dirlewanger documents first, so your in luck."

Please tell us if you turn anything up regarding the famous Dirlwanger dog tags!

Again, one of my main interests. If I find anything related to the tags, it will posted immediately.

Comment

Sorry to rehash this old thread, but how is this going?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan M View Post
                Sorry to rehash this old thread, but how is this going?
                I would like to know as well.

Comment

Interesting. Would love to see the rest. Rough translation of this one.

The oldest Angehöriger they called up with the letter mentioned were 48 years old.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi mate, what became of this project? The DW is a unit I've had a recent interest in after buying Maclean's book and Ingrao's book on the unit. The prospect of more being uncovered through these files is very exciting and will hopefully open up new doors into chapters previously not covered extensively in secondary sources.

Did NARA also collate photos of the unit? I've got about 35 photos of the unit from this forum and google images and think I've about dug up all there is in media of the unit minus whatever private photos there are in collections.

Bundesarchiv will have a fair few im sure, but only 2 under the tag 'Dirlewanger' so its a case of hoping to happen upon the unit's photos.

Many people see an interest in the DW as a morbid curiosity, which I can understand I guess, however its very much a part of history that needs to be preserved to make sure their awful crimes are not forgotten.

Comment

First time seeing this thread today.

The original poster did indeed seem to greatly underestimate the scale of his proposed project. It's the reaction that almost anyone has when they first encounter the "goldmine" of documents available at NARA or other archives.

I personally had started a business plan in the late 90's based on tapping into that goldmine. Seemed straightforward enough - people are interested in the subject, the info is public domain - what could be easier than translating, repackaging, and publishing it? Fortunately, I didn't get financially too deep into it until I realized the economics didn't make sense.

The flaws in the plan included as follows:
                      - Overestimating the audience. Sure we can get the impression that a lot of people are interested in the subject, but how many people are interested in each sub-topic enough to pay a decent price for it?
                      - Underestimating the work involved. The hours add up quicker than you think, especially if you want to do a quality translation. That drives the price of your product up.
                      - Underestimating the marketing involved. Suppose you have a product ready. Now you have to reach your customer, do the financial transaction, and deliver the goods. More hours that have to be paid for.

A lot has changed since the 90's as far as capturing and even translating materials like this but many of the problems remain. With digital storage, we can amass huge amounts of this stuff and machine translation/voice dictation can speed up the translation process. But this is still a niche interest that is broken down into further sub-niches which makes the actual audience quite small relative to the effort involved. The original poster was going so far as to suggest doing this all for FREE (along with the volunteer efforts of a translator). It's a nice sentiment but not realistic.

The lesson that I learned is that a goldmine is in reality a lot of work. After those first few big nuggets you pick up, you have to dig ore, refine it, market it etc - no to mention keeping an eye on competition and thieves.

Comment

Completely agree F L Clemens, this would have been a mammoth task, even for teams of researches. I recently got in touch with French Maclean and his book was based on NARA records already I do believe, so it depends how much is still to be gleamed from those records and that info then needs to be weighed up next to the cost. Maclean said he went through 4 Microfilms worth of archival evidence for his book.

When everything is combined with Ingrao’s and Maclean’s research, and then the archives across Europe which will have undertaken research ( I can imagine those in Poland would have done for the war crimes trials), it makes me question what else there is to know. As lovers of history we always seek to know more, but some veins of the ore you mentioned eventually can no longer be mined for nuggets.

Comment

Originally posted by PAB_Collector View Post
                          7/8
                          Subject: Post #4

Not being a German speaker ....

Here's a note from ᛋᛋ Main Office to be routed to Dr. Dirlewanger congratulating him on his DKiG .
                          Funkspruch an: 7.12.43

1) Ergänzungsamt der Waffen-ᛋᛋ, Ergänzungstelle Süd-West V,
                          S t u t t g a r t

Zur weitergabe an ᛋᛋ-Obersturmbanführer D. Dirlewanger,
                          Esslingen a.N., Kesselwasen 16.

Führer, Unterfuhrer, u. M[ann]er gratulieren ihrem Kommandeur
                          zur Verleihung des Deutschen-Kreuz in Gold und wünschenbaldige Genesung.
                          gez. Walser
                          ᛋᛋ-Hauptsturmführer u. Bat. -Führer
                          2) An Höherer ᛋᛋ- u. Polizeiführer [unreadable] Minsk Abt. II SS
                          ᛋᛋ-Uscha. Jahndel nach hier in Marsch Setzen
                          ᛋᛋ-Sonderbataillon
                          ==========
                          My take on it:

Radio Message on 7.12.43
                          1) From ᛋᛋ-Main Office, Recruitment Office South-West V,
                          Stuttgart

Further routing to ᛋᛋ-Obersturmbanführer D. Dirlewanger,

Esslingen a.N., Kesselwasen 16.
                          Officers, NCOs, and men congratulate their commander on receiving the DKiG and send wishes for a quick recovery.

2) Higher ᛋᛋ and Police Leader [unreadable] Batallion II SS
                          ᛋᛋ-Unterscharführer [corporal] Jahndel will be here in movenment/Marsch
                          =======

-- Guy

Comment

Just to follow on from my last post, which may have come across a bit perfidious. I do hope this is still going on and there's more to be learned from these primary sources, and if you are still undertaking these tasks all these years since it was first posted, you're doing a great service to history. However, if it has become an untenable position to continue, I completely understand.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X