Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captured German Records About The Dirlewanger Brigade - Looking For Translation Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captured German Records About The Dirlewanger Brigade - Looking For Translation Help

Hello Gentlemen,

I have an exciting goldmine for those interested in true research and document examination.

I have aquired from the NARA all microfilm (rolls) records pertaining to the Waffen and Allgemeine SS.

This was a very costly endeavour, but my hope was to make these files available to researchers and collectors at no cost, and at the "click of a mouse".

Given the copious amount of data, I have decided to focus on a singular aspect that interests me first, the Dirlewanger Brigade. I have pulled all the corresponding rolls that contain the Dirlewanger records, and want to have each German document translated. I then want to include each document, and it's translated copy put into a singular PDF file.

To give you guy's an example of how mammoth this endeavour will be, the first roll from the Dirlewanger file alone contains 1142 documents......

So, that all being said, I'm looking for anyone with an excellent or native command of the German & English language to volunteer in this research.

We can work from this thread, via e-mail, or at a later date from my website. Please PM me or post here if your interested.

If a MOD would be so kind to sticky this thread, that would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a teaser:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PAB_Collector; 06-09-2011, 08:00 AM.

3/4
    Attached Files

Comment

5/6
      Attached Files

Comment

7/8
        Attached Files

Comment

9/10
          Attached Files

Comment

11/12
            Attached Files

Comment

13/14
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Pab collector
                It is indeed a massive project,I for one will be very interested to see what info will be brought to light.
                Good luck with the project.
                Cheers
                David

Comment

Firstly i've moved the thread into the correct forum.

Secondly, please don't even consider posting the entire roll and subsequent ones here on WAF. This is not the site for something like that, i'm not even sure of the legality of it.

If you want to make these rolls available i think a more suitable place would be sturmpanzer.com who already have done a huge amount of work in making NARA material available.
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
                    Firstly i've moved the thread into the correct forum.

Secondly, please don't even consider posting the entire roll and subsequent ones here on WAF. This is not the site for something like that, i'm not even sure of the legality of it.

If you want to make these rolls available i think a more suitable place would be sturmpanzer.com who already have done a huge amount of work in making NARA material available.
                    Not a site for "something like that"? Since when is research, and the communal sharing of information not part of the WAF?

Here I thought this plethora of valuable and costly information would be welcomed by this forum, clearly that's not the case.

So much for sharing.
                    Last edited by PAB_Collector; 06-10-2011, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Good luck in your very time comsuming endeavour.
                      In post 6, one document looks particularly interetsing, talking about blood alcohol samples and when these should be taken.

JL

Comment

Originally posted by PAB_Collector View Post
                        Not a site for "something like that"? Since when is research, and the communal sharing of information not part of the WAF?

Here I thought this plethora of valuable and costly information would be welcomed by this forum, clearly that's not the case.

So much for sharing.

WAF is a forum focused on collecting and research connected to that.

What you have would be more suited to the AHF, sturmpanzer or another historical research type forum\site.

Even if much of the information is interesting, how much of it is strictly relevant to that actual theme of WAF?

I also have a few hundred thousand pages of archive material from NARA and other archives. How much of it is relevant to collecting items from any of those units? very little. More if collecting paperwork though.

Another factor we have to consider is space. WAF doesn't have huge amounts of storage space available, in fact we're running out.

If you want to set up your own site or upload everything to your own storage space like MS sky drive and then have a thread linking to it then fine.
                        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
                          WAF is a forum focused on collecting and research connected to that.

What you have would be more suited to the AHF, sturmpanzer or another historical research type forum\site.

Even if much of the information is interesting, how much of it is strictly relevant to that actual theme of WAF?

I also have a few hundred thousand pages of archive material from NARA and other archives. How much of it is relevant to collecting items from any of those units? very little. More if collecting paperwork though.

Another factor we have to consider is space. WAF doesn't have huge amounts of storage space available, in fact we're running out.

If you want to set up your own site or upload everything to your own storage space like MS sky drive and then have a thread linking to it then fine.
                          If you can not see the obvious direct correlation between the data, and this forum, I do not know what to tell you.

I will merely say this; within but one roll of the aforementioned are requests for medals, badges, equipment, ammunition, names of recipients etc; etc; and that is just the proverbial tip of the iceberg at a mere cursory glance at a small batch of files.

I made a large investment to acquire all this data, and wanted to share it at no cost to fellow collectors and researchers here at the WAF, because I love this community. I merely sought translation assistance in return.

Clearly you have reservations about that, so I will refrain from posting any further related material on this forum.

Thanks.
                          Last edited by PAB_Collector; 06-10-2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I didn't say it wasn't of interest, just that the way you propose to do it is not the way to do it considering the amount of material you have.

Comment

Unfortunately, Simon is right about the 'available space' problem.

But feel free to post a link to your research site.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X